Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a cluster of P. stellatus that is really starting to bush out and I was wondering what the best method is for pruning it down. Rather than having a hundred small to medium sized shoots I would like to keep it down to several larger growths but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't just spur further shoot growth by trimming them. I've seen few plants that branch quite as prolifically as this one. What is the best strategy to get that 'Oliver Knott' look to your stellatus?

·
Registered
426 Posts
To achieve the effect that you're looking for, then you can either (1) replant the top cuttings and/or (2) allow the rooted stump to produce side shoots but prune all but one so that the plant can devote all of its energy to that one side shoot, resulting in a bigger stem. One thing to note is that newly planted cuttings of this plant will often exhibit stunted tips until the roots have established. I find that during this period unobstructed light, good CO2, and NO3 are extremely important to prevent such an occurrence.

If I am not mistaken, the Pogostemon stellatus that you've seen in Oliver Knott's tank have not been pruned. They were planted as top cuttings and grew into the state seen in the contest photos. Unfortunately, the tank was dismantled before we could see its progress after a trimming.

Good job on growing the plant so well. It is considered difficult for many people. [smilie=t:

·
Registered
645 Posts
If he produced that growth with top cuttings why not just plant your top cuttings? It makes sense to me. Tom Barr recommends replanting the tops and tossing the rooted parts.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was curious about. I'm going to let it grow out a bit more and then replant the healthiest top cuttings. Man I've got a load of this stuff now :p

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few last questions: Is there any sort of selection criteria you would recommend when choosing which top cuttings to use? How long would you recommend they be? And does anyone want any P. stellatus trimmings? I think I'm going to have a bucket-full :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts