Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have another moss whose appearance and growth habit look incredibly similar to Gomer's "nano moss". If the both of you would like to try it out, then please PM me your address.

I have sent a sample to an expert for identification. If it turns out to be Amblystegium serpens, then it's the same as Gomer's. Keep your fingers crossed. :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Naomi. Yes, the moss was sent to Kwek Leong so that he can have Professor Tan properly ID it.

Is 8W over a 2.5G tank considered low, moderate, or high light? All my tanks are high light. Nonetheless, I recall that Gomer has grown this species successfully in both low and high light setups. Perhaps he can chime in the discussion. In the mean time, why not just give it a try? What I will send is the emersed form because I no longer have it submersed in my tank. As far as whether or not it will attach to driftwood, NO moss I have grown has ever attached to the substrate on which it is tied to. Not even java moss. :? Don't ask me why. I have not a clue.

pineapple said:
Was Tony's moss correctly identifed as: Amblystegium serpens
It is according to www.killies.com , but Gomer may be able to confirm it for us.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, upward-bound moss (i.e. Erect moss) do not attach to anything whereas downward-bound moss (i.e. Taiwan & Christmas) and bound-in-every-direction moss (i.e. Java) do. As for myself, I can't get any of these to attach but others have. :?

As far as moss on the substrate, Oliver Knott uses (lava?) rocks to attach these moss to. Like Gomer says, it can be quite difficult to maintain a non-anchored moss foreground. :) One exception is the Fontinalis antipyretica var gigantea (giant willow moss). This bugger is HUGE relative to the other mosses that we're more familiar with. You can plant it directly in the substrate where individual fronds will grow into mini palm trees -- making for a short-stature distinctive carpeting plant. This moss takes on an open form so water can freely flow through the understory which prevents the trapping of detritus so common among the other mosses.

It's a shame that AquaticQuotient has been down for the past several days so I can't access its gallery. Otherwise, I can show you some really neat tanks with moss as the foreground. In the mean time, you can feast on Roland Seah's shrimp tank.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Gomer, that is one incredibly beautiful thingamajig. :shock: :shock: :shock: It reminds me of wheat fields or rice paddies.

Pineapple, do get the NY specimen in your tank while Florida is being nice. 8-[

1 - 4 of 4 Posts