Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earthdate: 02.07.09
Subject: Major Project 2

I just got a 20 gallon aquarium from my sister. It has an eclipse hood, which I hope I can use the way I want to. I will run some flooding tests on it to see how this works, hopefully, it will do what I want it to do. I estimate I will use about 10 gallons of water, perhaps a bit less.

I was initially thinking a solid wall of land and water front, however, I have changed my mind, just a little. I believe I will be using a platform. And have water under the "land" area.

I am inspired by the picture below. I want fog... Not with the bamboo or the rocks, but a similar idea. I will use driftwood and I hope to put my celestial pearls in this. I will be making it blackwater.

Owner Bonald Yau

And this is what I am working with.... the cogs are turning, the smoke is burning, something will happen as sooon as I get some drawings made. I have a pretty good image in my mind.

Raw Canvas.

Concept name "Yin and Yang" Gotta be artsy fartsy.

Considered substrate, white sand and fluorite black sand.
Materials considered:

Pink foam, cement, cement pigment, rocks, driftwood, moonlight LED. Sumbersable Moonlight LED, fogger

That's it for now, the wheels are turning and my next project will come into being... give me a good few months.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Oh neat! I've toyed with the idea of a paludarium a few times, but I think I'd much rather watch you do one. ;)

Subscribed.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
For that back/left corner, are you going to use natural driftwood or will you make something/buy a synthetic trunk? How will you make the caverns?

-Dave

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope to go with natural wood, even if it means merging a few pieces together. I can always stuff the joins with coco-fiber and get moss growing on it.

Caverns I am still pondering. I wish to make the whole setup removable. I might have to consider removing the rim from the tank for construction only. I intend to make it in similar manner to my muddy banks tank. foam cement. Probably great stuff.

I am considering rare earth magnets to help keep the bottom down. My mental plans are still in progress. I may need to do a hike along the beach again. if the weather holds out, I might go next week to look.

Someone is giving me their fogger, which is awesome! So I have that covered.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right now its on hold until I get materials... I have drawn out some more plans, my caverns may not include stalagtites or stalagmites, but something similar to Kaon's tank.

On real sad news, Tarn, the red betta of mine and 8 danio got cooked when my heater malfunctioned suddenly.

And in a seperate tank, for no apparent reason, my beloved claude kicked the bucket.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Earthdate: 02.10.09
Subject: Hood Verdict.

It will serve.

I have it just over 1/3 full. And the hood filter operates.

My only problem I can see is getting it primed. Once primed it works like a charm.

Few possible methods of solving the issue of priming.

I have to almost submerse the head under water. I suspect this is because water leaks out the join where the impeller is. This means air flows in which causes suction to fail.
So.. I will attempt to solve this problem by drying out the power head, giving it a strip or two of teflon tape and then a couple wraps of electrical tape. Or a small thin bead of silicon to seal it.

Failing that, I will silicon it into place, but I would rather have the power head easily accessible for cleaning. This method is not really my plan.

I will replace the clear pipe with a longer piece. I want the bottom to be almost touching the substrate. I expect to be only an inch maybe two at the most. I am thinking sand.

Water leaks from powerhead.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the tank is on hold. I might use a differnt tank to built it. right now the intended tank is full of celestial pearl danio fry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts