Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :wave: I'm new on here and I have 4 smallish tanks, 3 of which are planted the fourth is a 35 litre Arcadia Arc tank 16 x 11 x 13h and holds about 26 litres of water (approx 7 US gallons). I have 6 Pencil Fish and 3 Otos in this tank with plastic plants at the moment until I can think what I'd like to do with the planting. I have been thinking about lowering the water level adding the Tetra CO2 and a large piece of bogwood that would come above the water level on which I could plant Anubias and mosses. Some of the Anubias's would be above the water level with the roots and rhizome in the water, well that's my idea anyhow and I believe its called a Paludarium, but correct me if I'm wrong.

However, my main concern would be if the fish be OK in 7 or 8 ins of water?

Also what other plants do you think I could have that could grow above the water. The lighting doesn't seem to be particularliy good it's just an Arc Pod that came with the tank and it gives a very yellowy glow, I think its 11 watts. I'm not very good with technical stuff and usually just use what comes with the tanks.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Heya, Ashton. Sorry, I can't help with your questions, but since this Thread has had more than 210 views without a reply, I figured it only courteous to leave some sort of response... Pretty poor effort for 212 people to cruise by and not say a word. Anyhoo, you got any pics of your setups?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means, but I do have a 2.5 gallon aquarium that is 8" high with a dwarf puffer in it - while I'm not sure about this being enough water for fish in a plural sense, I'm sure a fish would be okay... maybe a betta?
And if you are only planning on growing anubias and moss, you could probably skip the CO2, especially if some of the leaves would be growing emersed.
As for plants, take a look at the emersed forum here, there are many plants people have grown successfully out of water.
Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm just learning about aquatic plants myself and so I checked out a book from the local library on the subject. It's entitled "Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants" by Peter Hiscock and it's got everything you would ever want to know about aquatic plants, their biology, water quality & filtration, substrate, lighting, fertilizer, etc. I can't decide between a paludarium and a aquarium.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, this is an old thread, but I was just wondering what you ended up doing. I have an anubias growing emergent in my paludarium & it seems very happy. I would think that you have too little water space devoted to your fish in that tank. Curious to know the rest of the story.

Marty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.