1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would definitely contribute for this. You only need to borrow it for a day or two to measure all your tanks and figure out where you might have lighting issues. I think the total cost is around $300, or less if you have a good quality multimeter to connect it to.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Also, there might be a lower cost PAR meter solution in the Seneye:

http://www.seneye.com/

Apparently you can buy the "home" version for $110 and unlock it in software to the reef version, which has a PAR meter. I'm waiting to hear from someone on TPT as to the accuracy of the PAR meter. I would like someone to test both the Seneye and a real PAR meter next to each other and validate the accuracy of the Seneye.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Seneye because I've heard that the pH monitor is inaccurate, the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate monitor requires disposable testing strips, and in order to use it on a regular basis you have to subscribe to a monthly service, however, if the PAR meter works as advertised (which it supposedly does without a subscription), the $110 would be worth it just for the PAR meter alone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I guess there is not much interest in a PAR meter. If I ever pick one up I will make it available for club use, however, I probably won't get one until next year sometime. The investment is about half of what I spent to setup my 60P! :)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
FunkySeneye version aside, the average meter also costs about 3 times the current balance of the club budget - my opinion is that we should table this discussion for after the NEC, to see if it's even realistically affordable for the group.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts