Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw where a man fills CO2 into a bottle in his tanks every couple days. It passively diffuses into the water supplying what the plants need. It gave me the idea for this design.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
im not a big Co2 nut- even though I have it.
But wouldn't that basically just be a horizontal reactor? :eek: appreciate the diagram it looks great.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
A reactor forces water into the CO2, diffusing it and reducing the flow.
See shows how much I know right?
Here is another thing similar to your idea which has been around for ages:
Floating a bottle upside down in your tank and filling it with co2.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Nice! if you end up making it ill be interested to see it + how it goes!

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
The rate at which CO2 dissolves into water depends on the area of the CO2/water contact. This is a very small area. Consider that CO2 from the atmosphere has the total footprint of the tank as the contact area. This is more like drop checker! It would be interesting to find out how much CO2 gets into the water.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, about the surface area. Maybe an oversized Tee, like 2inches diameter then reduce down to 1/2 inch for the hoses. I'll have to find some transparent PVC for the vertical to see where the CO2 and water meet.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
A larger Tee fitting would seem to work the best. I wonder about the turbulence of the water flowing through, caused by the change in diameter, and the lack of flow through the side of the tee with CO2. I can imagine that the water in that leg would be whirling around, up and down, and let big CO2 blobs into the water flow. But, a lot of things I can imagine are nothing more than my imagination, too.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious too. I want to see what's going on. Anybody know where I can get cheap 2" diameter clear plastic rigid tubing? Clear 2" PVC is quite expensive.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found some acrylic at USplastics. It's a little cheaper than PVC.
For prototyping, I might use a tube from a python water changer I don't use.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh! I found some clear 2" pvc tubing off eBay for $10 with free shipping. The walls are thin but it should work.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
If I remember correctly, the cement that works well with acrylic, also works well enough with PVC. But, the 2" PVC tubing is the easiest way to go. This should be interesting!!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've used these check valves from clippard, http://www.clippard.com/part/MCV-1BB
previously in my CO2 setup but they both failed. I guess when in contact with water (dirty aquarium water), it fails. I have a spare one but would a cheap check valve from the fish store be better?

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
I have been using these check valves, https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23369&catid=489 in my CO2 system for about 3 years, with no failures yet. I have had, one in my tank, in the water, with CO2 going through it for all of that time, and it still works fine. They are made of plastics that are highly chemical resistant. Shipping costs for buying them drive up the cost substantially, but I still like them. I mistakenly bought the 3/16 inch size the last time, so it can be difficult to slip tubing over them, but they still work. The 1/8 inch size works much better.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts