Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I have a trio of Beckfords Pencil fish. I think one of the females is pregnant for a couple of reasons
- Male has white "stuff" on lower fins. (sperm?) also he is very red in the fins.
- Female belly is too full. Much wider black band than usual, also very red in the fins.
The problem is they have been this way for 2.5 months. Is she pregnant? If so how can I trigger her to spawn?

Ph- 6.6
Water is in a very good condition.

Thanks
Ted

·
Registered
628 Posts
my males do have white on their bottom fins, actually it is a sky blue

good luck with the babies if you have them

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, its kind of blueish white on mine. But they have been this way for 2.5 months. Is this normal to be this long b/c my Danios breed in one month. How can I trigger them?

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Fish don't get pregnant, except for livebearers. It maybe that your overfeeding or somehow she has internal parasites? I had this happen to a Danio, which ended up dying while the others looked rather healthy.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Yes, parasites are certainly a possibility too.

Sometimes the females will plump up quite some time before actually spawning. I have a young female Krib who is "ripening", but she's probably just not quite old enough to carry through yet.

Are they showing any signs of spawning behavior?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.

I feed them a little once a day for a month and the "plumpness" didn't go away. I don't think that it’s a parasite because she has been this way for a while. Also the male and female pencilfish have had what I think to be spawning signs for 2.5 months.

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Ted,

It sounds like they're getting ready to spawn. If you don't have a good bunch of fine leaved stemplants, such as Mayaca fluviatilis, I would highly recommend going out and getting some. Mine seemed to take to that best and were constantly going in and out of there to spawn.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
215 Posts
Are u sure that you have a male? Many pencilfish are most intresting when you have more than 1 male because of their sparring behaviors. You might try increasing your school size. 3 males and 5 females will provide a more intresting population. This next week I will try to put a movie clip on my webpage of sparring males.

My beckfords spawn almost every day for a little while after breakfast. The males get a very dark red when they occupy a spawning site, spar with other males, and chase away other fish.Spawning females look the same as fridgid ones, when they are 'in the mood' a female will leave the company of her girlfriends to find a male in the bushes. The females lay 1 egg at a time they do not dump a big batch all at once. My experience suggests that extra fat females are shorter lived and spawn less frequently. I don't think they have good digestion. The eggs hatch in 3 days and the fry do better scavenging on their own than if I try to feed them. In a species only tank many can survive to adulthood. Floating plants will provide good cover during the night when the fry are most vulnerable. When my N is over 10ppm very few fry survive.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Jeff Kropp said:
This next week I will try to put a movie clip on my webpage of sparring males.
Drained 2 sets of batteries and got these two short clips from my first effort: http://home.earthlink.net/~goldenbees/id4.html I will try again when my batteries are charged back up.

Ted, notice how much darker the excited male is than the female, and how little red the female has in her finnage?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts