Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,950 Posts
Your tank is filled with lovely plants.

I would try a few things. Turn off the filter and UV. Turning off filter--even if just during the day-- will increase levels of the all-important CO2. UV is only important if you see disease or have added new fish to the tank or the tank has green-water algae.

If you order plants, consider getting some Frog Bit and/or Water Shield. These are stronger floating, water purifying plants than duckweed. I think you have more than enough rooted plants. You just need to get them growing enough to out-compete algae.

Stop adding the Equilibrium. Those sulfates could be doing major damage to your rooted plants that a little poking won't compensate for. Use my recipe or Wonder Shells. However, at a GH of 11 and with your infrequent water changes, you probably don't need to add anything for many, many months. So relax now about GH.

I'll be interested to hear how this tank responds to a few changes.

·
Super Moderator
2,950 Posts
Thank you Mr. Green. I have reduced the lighting somewhat by adding a layer of black window screen .

Is there anyway to determine whether using Equilibrium has ruined the substrate?. i tried to determine if there is alot of hydrogen sulfide gas in the substrate by poking it 15 times with thin stick. Doing so produced 2-3 bubbles in 3 locations. Doesn't seem like a lot but maybe my method is useless.
If I need to tear the tank down and start with a new substrate, I need to do it soon, before it gets too cold in Maine to ship plants.
The Equilibrium will not ruin the substrate once you stop adding it. The sulfates will gradually be removed by water changes and H2S gas released from the substrate. Since yours is an established tank, it's possible that you are making the substrate too aerobic by unnecessary poking. The gas bubbles could easily be CO2.

I think you have enough plants.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts