Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my pH crashed today and killed half the fish and probably most of the plants. It droped to 5.2. It's been sitting at 6.8 for the past few weeks with no problems. Any thoughts as to what caused it?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sounds like a Co2 dump, infact i can't really think of anything else that would cause i large drop with the exception of a water change or Ph down added.

EDIT: a low Kh will allow the tank Ph to change very fast, But i run with 1Kh and have not had any swings in Ph that where not caused by me.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
There is no such thing as a pH crash, it is a myth, pH doesn't kill fish nor plants. However, high CO2 and chemical levels do.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Low pH would not kill your plants unless you dumped some chemical into the tanks that was a plant killer. Dumping hydrochloric acid into the tank could do that if not done very carefully and slowly. Is it possible that some other member of the household dumped something into the water?

·
Registered
930 Posts
I believe my ph is starting to crash. I added diy Co 2. Before had ph 7.2 and Kh1. Now ph is to low to read. I added 1mm of baking soda and 2 mm calcium sulfate. Only the fish I bought the day before died.

Is there anything else I can do?

·
Registered
930 Posts
No I don't have an air stone. Have diy Co2 similar to this:

Tube that connects to the powerhead is smaller, thus I was unable to get an airs tone in it.

I don't see the need for air stone for many with planted tanks don't have air stones or filters, thus I am confused about your statement for the need for an air stone.

I had been told by experienced aquariust that I can use diy Co2 even though my Kh is 1 but I think my tank may be the exception. For a few have red gills are breathing strangely. In fact 1 was upside down for a while. So I turned the diy Co2 off and add 1mm of baking soda.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It is not a pH problem, it is a CO2 problem (too much).

Adding baking soda may raise the pH, but won't save the fish.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The problem was to much Co2. For I had the system hooked up wrong and it was being pushed into the tank. Realized this after viewing diy Co2 on youtube.

I changed the water and now all of the fish look good. Did it at 5 am, thus they weren't stressed for long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts