Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tap water is soft and the Ph is high. KH 1 and Ph 8. Just read that soft water (low mineral) is usually low in pH. Does this mean the water is alkaline.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
A pH of 8 is on the alkaline side. A couple of things to mention - make sure you let the water sit and degas and equilibrate for 24 hours before measuring the pH. If you measure straight out of the tap, it will give you a false reading. Secondly, make sure your pH indicator/probe is properly calibrated so you can be sure of your readings.

And yes, softer waters tend to be on the acidic side rather than the alkaline (basic) side.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Dawn,

I have the same issue. My water is around 2dkh and it is around 8ph when it comes out of the tap. One day later is at 7.0ph.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my first tank, 10 gallon, the reading were Ph 9 and gh 0. It scared me and I posted a thread about it 11/07. I tested with Fresh Lab test kit.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
If the water has sodium bicarbonate, the pH can be high, but GH, which is a measure of the concentration of calcium and magnesium, can be zero. My tap water is like that. The KH (alkalinity) is 11 and the GH is 0.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts