Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was sent here from TPT forums (plantedtank.net) to get dwalstads' advice or input on something similar to this discussion, but instead of too much or long photo times, my interest is in the dark times.

Allow me to explain my thoughts. Outside nature is governed by itself on a 24 hour schedule, albeit sometimes changing, but nature has its' best benefit in mind I believe. In our aquariums, we are the governers, and decide what is best. (Or worst for the first few days I started planting my tanks :p)

If light is what encourages growth, tells our plants to start sucking up nutrients. At night they respire, and reach for the skies. (but I'm a soldier and value my sleep time)

What is the minimum downtime for plants? IS it possible and still healthy for a 9 hour on, 9 hour off cycle?

Quote from Naja when asked the same ? on TPT:

"Ok, it's sounds like you are wondering if we can "add more days to the year" by using a minimum dark cycle. I've pondered that--6 hrs On, 6hrs Off x2/day, etc. I don't know the answer, but I've pondered the thought."

Thank you for your time :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Long day plants are really short night plants that require a night shorter than some length of time in order to bloom. Short day plants are really long night plants that require a night longer than some amount of time in order to bloom.
Can you please give some examples as to wich plants you are referring to?

Ok so with the period of their 24hour cycle (outside of aquaria), plants decide how they grow at night?

During the day they soak up nutrients, and store them as food once broken down into something they can actually use. So I assume that it's safe to say, the growth rate is dependent upon the amount of nutrients stored readily as food, wich is dependent upon the light intensity, dependent upon the length of lighting time. Once lights are out, the plants grow in relation to amount of food stored? What is the ratio, term, length, timing of lights out time, when the plant says "Hey, look buddy, I just can't grow no more, show me the liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!"

Correct me if I'm wrong please. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.