Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I observe that in my tank(300w AHSupply PC light over 100gallon), most of the stem plants close the leaves after less than 7 hours of lighting. I reckon once that happens, the light would only feed algae, so I am considering further shortening my photoperiod, which is about 8.5 hours right now. How do you determine your lighting period?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
My photo-period is 12 hours total. It's on from 7am to 1pm...then on again from 3pm to 9pm. I don't know how to determine how much you need, I just got this from a suggestion.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
8.5 hours is not a very long time. The plants are closing their leaves in antipication of the light going off in about an hour and a half. If you lengthen your light period, you will find that the plants, after a week or so of adjusting to the new off time, will still begin the leaf closing process about an hour and a half before the lights are due to go off. In my tanks I still see lots of bubbling (indicating photosynthesis) right up to the time the light goes off. Just because the stem plants are closing their leaves doesn't mean that they stop photosynthesizing.

I keep my lights on for 16 hours a day. That is so I can feed my fish before I go to work and after I get back.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Why would you interrupt the middle of the photo-period?
There has been discussion that breaking up the photo-period is beneficial in keeping algae at bay, however I have never read or seen anything conclusive on this matter. Thats not to say there may be some truth to the matter but it smells of a fish story.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I remember reading that it's beneficial(I can't remember why), but I think it's a rest-period for the plants. I just follow it since in nature it isn't always bright sun for the whole day...although I do know you are supposed to correspond your photo-period with the daylight period in your house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts