Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in Canada and i was wondering if i was to get some planst from the USA shipped to me would i need one of these? there quite expencive from what i herd and i just wanted to know if i had to have one to ship from the US to Canada!

·
Registered
65 Posts
jeffhardy55555 said:
i live in Canada and i was wondering if i was to get some planst from the USA shipped to me would i need one of these? there quite expencive from what i herd and i just wanted to know if i had to have one to ship from the US to Canada!
Yes, you will need a phytosanitary certificate to import ANY plants from the US into Canada. Where in Canada do you live? Here in Toronto, we can get any aquatic plant that is available in the hobby.

·
Registered
77 Posts
jppurchase said:
jeffhardy55555 said:
Yes, you will need a phytosanitary certificate to import ANY plants from the US into Canada. Where in Canada do you live? Here in Toronto, we can get any aquatic plant that is available in the hobby.
Not necessarily, any plant :) I've spent a lot of time trying to look for some Riccia

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not necessarily, any plant :) I've spent a lot of time trying to look for some Riccia[/quote]

And where do you live?

If you live in Toronto, go to Menagerie Pet Shop on Parliaments Street (just east of downtown). Ask to see Harold, he's the plant guru. There isn't anything that I've requested that he wasn't able to get. Maybe not the very next day, but Harold has more aquatic plant contacts than anyone i know and can be counted on to track down pretty much anything.

You are aware that most people rue the day they ever put Riccia into their tanks? It is so brittle and breaks apart so easily that is becomes a nuisance very quickly.

I know that Amano uses it, but he has a full staff to maintain his aquariums. We mere mortals have to do it ourselves.

James Purchase
Toronto

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have shipped plants to Canada and have not needed one. I stated on the customs form that they were aquatic plants and they went through no problem. The only snag is customs tends to hold things up, so nothing except guaranteed overnight services is practical---and it is VERY expensive.

:!:

·
Registered
77 Posts
jppurchase said:
Not necessarily, any plant :) I've spent a lot of time trying to look for some Riccia
And where do you live?

If you live in Toronto, go to Menagerie Pet Shop on Parliaments Street (just east of downtown). Ask to see Harold, he's the plant guru. There isn't anything that I've requested that he wasn't able to get. Maybe not the very next day, but Harold has more aquatic plant contacts than anyone i know and can be counted on to track down pretty much anything.

You are aware that most people rue the day they ever put Riccia into their tanks? It is so brittle and breaks apart so easily that is becomes a nuisance very quickly.

I know that Amano uses it, but he has a full staff to maintain his aquariums. We mere mortals have to do it ourselves.

James Purchase
Toronto[/quote]

Oh, hey James, saw your posts on PN the other day :)
I was talking to Harold when he got his new shipment of plants (Friday) and asked if he was getting any Riccia, but he said that he wasn't, as it was too difficult to acquire right now (I also asked for some Glosso, but apparently they won't be ordering that either)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Darkblade48 said:
And where do you live?

Oh, hey James, saw your posts on PN the other day :)
I was talking to Harold when he got his new shipment of plants (Friday) and asked if he was getting any Riccia, but he said that he wasn't, as it was too difficult to acquire right now (I also asked for some Glosso, but apparently they won't be ordering that either)
Menagerie had Glosso last month. It was with no small amount of trepidation that I bought a square, given its reputation for being difficult. Its spreading all over the substrate of a 23 gallong tank, very nice.

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts