Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Personally I would go with 8 tetras, 2 rams, 6 corydoras, and 2 plecos. To be honest I still think that would be too much for a 22g. I think it would be better, especially with introducing such a bioload, to begin with the tetras and rams, then at a later date if you still think you have room add the plecos and corys.

I have a 20g and I wouldn't even put more than 8 ottos and 6 ember tetras. Of course you'll find other people that stock a 10g with 2 danios, 2 platies, 2 mollies, 2 corys, 2 rams, and a handful of tiger shrimp. So, I do think you're on the right track with a relatively smaller assortment of fishes.

What kind of plants are you considering?
What kind of substrate are you using?
What dosing techniques will you be using?
Low-Light...High-Light?
Etc...?

· Registered
27 Posts
Try to maintain the same bioload (or pooping as you would have it) during the transition of angels and sharks to tetras and rams as you add plants. I think the plants, at least if they're coming from stores that hold them in the same water as their fish, can acclimate fast enough. Then, slowly add more fish as per your desire, and as the filter becomes adjusted you will have to monitor adjust the chemical dosing as needed to combat any spikes.

When I mentioned dosing, I mean the dosing basics, which I would consider doing at the same time you add plants. It's not too costly to just dose macronutrients, i.e. Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, if you're using beginner plants.

Let us know what plants you're considering and I'm sure we will all have some advice for you. (When starting out, most prefer low-light, fast growing plants such as java fern and java moss, hygrophilia difformis [wisteria], anubias species, easy stem plants, and cryptocorynes(sp?).)

I'm pretty sure most would agree with me, but I could be wrong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.