Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some Blyxia japonica, some Aponegeton crispus, and some Anubias congensis at the Minnesota Aquarium Society auction last Saturday. My tanks are low to medium light(1.5-2.5 watts/gal), potting soil substrate with gravel or ecocomplete on top, and no ferts. Hard water (kH = 12) PH 7.5 + Tanks range in size from 20 high to 75 bowfront. I'm not new to planted tanks but am new to these species. I have alot of floating plants in my medium light tanks. Should I remove all or most of this shade for the Blyxia? Will congensis and crispus do ok in a 20 high with low light? Suggestions welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Should I remove all or most of this shade for the Blyxia?
Yes. I'm not sure how well it will do without a carbon source and no ferts. If it survives, it will go through an acclimation stage before it settles into growth, assuming it came from different water conditions.

Anubias should do well. I've no experience with A. crispus, but according to the plantfinder, it sounds like you'll be ok with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would you recommend for ferts? I've never really tried them. I have had good luck with crypts, anubias, and floaters such as najas, Pistia and ceratophyllum. Haven't had much algae problem except in midwinter when the tank receives some morning sunlight on one end.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Well, I just realized you have a natural soil substrate, you might get by without any additions. Bottom line is, if you've had success with the plants you mention, I would certainly give it a try. If the Blyxa doesn't make it, it's a common plant often offered for sale on the forum here and it's inexpensive. But definitely, lose the shade above it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts