Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, did a major makeover on the tank last night, ended up tearing just about everything down and setting it back up again. It looks really stripped now, but I think it got some potensial. But I was hoping for some hints and tips on how I could improve on it. So here it is. feel free to speak your mind :roll:

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, is it really so bad that nobody even dare to comment on it :cry:

Come on, I can take it, trow me a few lines and tell me how I can improv on it. I promis you will feel better afterwards 8)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Is that cyperus helfari on the right side of the first pic. I think that it needs more time to grow and things will depend on how you let things fill out. Also the back could use a good scrubbing!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The picture is a little small. :)

Are you trying to create a concave layout with the stem plants on both sides sloping downward toward the foreground?

Right now, you have a lot of healthy bunches of plants, but I don't see any aim/focus.

I try to answer as fast as I can, sorry!

Carlos

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The back is actually some kind of stupid rock backgroung that I'v been thinking about dumping and just paint the back in black. Guess that was a suble hint that I should do just that :lol:

I agree that I don't have a focal point. When I sett this up first, I was actually trying out two mounds in on tank. This developed back into a concave setup as the plants grow. I was getting problem with green algea, I think this was from to much plants so PO4 level was close to zero. So to fix this I did a major pruning, and this was the result. I will post a new, and bigger, pictures when things grows in a litel better.

Until then, can anybody help me out with a way to make a good focalpoint for this setup?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Wow I thought that background was cork! Im not too keen on the focal point thing, but maybe if you went with a black background you could use some empty space somewhere near the middle as a focal point?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ha ha, it's actually more like styrofoam :) Never really did care much for it, but the misses wount let me take ut out. But now I fixed this, and the problem with her stocking my tank with fishes I don't want by buying here a 50g tank for the kitchen. Guess this backgrounds can go in her tank then!

Guess it's gonna be kinda difficult to paint the back of the tank when it's up and running, but I'll guess I'll give it a try!

·
Registered
126 Posts
you can just use some black background paper instead of paint. or do what my friend did, paint some syran wrap black on one side and stick that to the back of the tank.

·
Registered
645 Posts
To create the two mound look amano says in his book he uses a 3 to one ratio. The biggest mound should be three times the size of the small mound. Correct me if i am wrong i lost my book somewhere and cant look it up.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The two opposing mounds should be in a ratio of 1:1.618 (the golden ratio). A rough approximation is 3:2, so that one mound is only two thirds the size of the larger one.

Hope this helps!

Carlos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts