Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

Sorry to have lain and the secret about this aquarium!
I know that some of you will compare it to my old aquarium Syrah but I needed to test it again; and I hope that you appreciate it...
With this layout I have used some different trim's technic and Utricularia for simulate the grass field

The inspiration came from the place where I leave and of course... on "Pinus pinea" = "Pinheiro manso".

Click on the picture to enlarge!

It's all for now... new pictures are coming about Step by step and development!

Cheers,

Filipe Oliveira

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
It's seldom that a planted tank is truly perfect. This one is!

Among the other things that make this tank VERY natural looking is the somewhat bald area in front of the tree - just like many trees appear in nature.

Bravo, Filipe!

--Nikolay

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Yes Filipe!
I love it. You've recreated a stone pine "to a t" as we say here.
What are your flora and fauna besides the utricularia?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, What an amazing tank !

Could we have more informations about it (tank size, light power and duration, plants, fishes, shrimps, stones...) and of course, more photos !!!

Thank you.

Olivier
~~~~~~~~
°
°
°
><(((°>

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,
Thanks to all for the comments and compliments!! :cool:

Before I answer to some questions, I would like to share some more pictures of this aquarium.

Set by step:

The difference between Nature and Landscape:

Cheers :wave:

Filipe Oliveira

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have always admired this little tree look you created. Don't hate me if you see me recreate my verison of the same thing:prayer:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi,

Thanks again to all for the comments and compliments!
I'll try to answer to all questions, if I forgot something please just ask or remember me ;)
Do you grow the tree last or at the same time as the foreground?
Yes! On the step by step picture you can see that I tied the moss on the wood after I did plant the foreground.

Don't hate me if you see me recreate my verison of the same thing:prayer:
Of course that I will not hate you.... but you need to promise one thing! Your layout should be better than mine!

What kind of moss is that?
Is Taiwan Moss "Taxiphyllum alternans"

How often do you dose?
Everyday!
Fase2 on Mon, Wed and Fri
Fase1 + K40 on Tue and Thur
Extra1 + K40 on Sat
with 0.5ml of each product

TPA once a week of 20%, Usually I do it on Sunday.

How long did it take for all that moss to grow?
To give this aspect, 2 months with regular trimmings.

Regardless of what the judges say, this tank is just awesome:)
We'll see what they'll say... if they will say something... I don't expect a good score on ADA and AGA this year. This layout isn't fresh or new, so the judges for sure will not score it like last layout.
But we'll see...

I did it for pleasure and to perfect some trimming techniques and test utricularia... and it did result perfectly!!

SETUP:
Name: Pinheiro manso
Date: 01.02.2008 - dd.mm.yyyy
Size: 55x35x35 ( long*wide*tall) cm
Volume: 67L
Temperature: 25ºC
pH: 6,8

Lighting: 3x24w T5 6.500k
Filter: Aquaclear 25
CO2: DIY + Elos ATO-10

Substrate: Elos bottom mineral, Elos Terra zero, Elos Terra natural soil small grain (12L)
Fertilization: Elos Fase1, Fase2, Extra1 and K40 by Elos Schedule program

Rocks: Schist
Wood decoration: Red Moorwood, DIY from 3 branches of wood

Plants: Eleocharis parvula, Utricularia graminifolia and Singapore moss (Vesicularia dubyana)

Fish: Otocinclus sp, Boraras maculatus and Iriatherina werneri
Invertebrate: Neocaridina heteropoda var. red and Caridina cf. cantonensis 'Tiger'

And it is all! Any doubt, just ask!

Cheers,

Filipe Oliveira

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for answers.

I wanna do an new tank for babies (my crystal red shrimps !). Current is too little. I bought 4 CRS and now they are more than 80 !!! (despite the fact I gave dozen to friends from time to time...) I definitly want to do a tank like yours. From months, I was looking tons of pictures on the internet trying to find what I could do. I was hesitating but since I saw yours, I know what I want ! (the same !)

Are you the first to do this ? If yes, so for me, you are like Takashi Amano, because you created a new style of aquascape, like him with plants on roots !

Question : In the last one, the three was made wis Vesicularia Dubiana whereas the new one is made with Taxiphyllum alternans. Right ? It is hard to see the difference on a picture... Which one do you advise to use ? ans why ?!

Aren't you teased by the idea of make a huge tank with severals threes ?!!!

Thank for all.

(sorry for my english... I do not practice very often)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Olivier,

Are you the first to do this ? If yes, so for me, you are like Takashi Amano, because you created a new style of aquascape, like him with plants on roots !
I don't know if I were the first... I never saw nothing like this!
If someone knows of the existence of something like this done before, please post the link on this thread.
One thing is sure; I'm trying to define a style, my own style...

Question : In the last one, the three was made wis Vesicularia Dubiana whereas the new one is made with Taxiphyllum alternans. Right ? It is hard to see the difference on a picture... Which one do you advise to use ? ans why ?!
Sorry, my mistake! Is Vesicularia dubyana (Singapore Moss) and not Taiwan Moss "Taxiphyllum alternans". I'll correct the setup to avoid more confusion!
You can find further information about moss and indentification in the following link: Aquamoss website
There are a lot of moss that you can use on the tree, the big problem is to find them!
Here is very difficult to buy others species of Moss, for this reason I did choose the common moss :)

Aren't you teased by the idea of make a huge tank with severals threes ?!!!
If I had more space at home! :heh:
With the 2 others tanks and the Discus, I don't have available space to setup a new aquarium.

Cheers,

Filipe Oliveira

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unfortunately Felipe wasn´t the first one to use this techinic the 21º in ADA 2001 contest Mr. Jang Kae Fuh create a hole japanese scenery using trees made with many kinds of moss( erect , wepping , flame , etc) , but this don´t take the credit of Felipe , he masterized this techinic , he is one of my Idols as Takashi , Oliver and Nobert, they are in the same level of aquascaping.GREAT JOB FAAO.
Excelente Aquariofilia , no nosso bom e velho português.

The pictures of the aquarium:
http://www.akwarium.org/galerie.php?ID_GALERIA=6&ID_ZDJECIE=85

Cheers,
Miron

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.