Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to share and ask you guys for some suggestion on this tank..
I setup this tank around 3 months ago...I originally wanted a very very simple and plain scape, with a nice HC carpet...(everything turned out really well :))

Now after a few months, the scape gets kinda boring, and I want to do some changes to it. I want to make use on some of the empty vertical space

I am thinking of adding some downoi at the front or the side and some larger & taller plant at the back. Any suggestions on plants or placement? and how should I go about ripping out the HC without making a big mess??
( Or should I leave the tank alone and get another tank to dry some new scape? 8-[ )

·
Registered
345 Posts
Personally, I enjoy denser planting in my aquarium, although I do see the beauty in Iwagumi's, even if they look somewhat bare (to me). Going on that, and not having any Iwagumi experience, I could only suggest some sort of stem, maybe in the rear right corner, to help lift the eye upward. Why not try dotting some Pogostemus (I love Pogo, so I'm being biased), around the place to help break up the expanse of HC. Pogo doesn't seem to grow very high, so might give a nice contrast, without being too in your face. I'd also introduce some driftwood, oriented to break up the middle horizontal plane.

But that's just me. Others might have different tastes, or your intentions for the tank might be based around the Iwagumi style... Post some pics once you work it out :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Choco,

Where did you get these tanks and what's lighting fixture you're using on the tank to the left?

Nice work. Beautiful appearance with petrified wood?

regards,
Ravi

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I enjoy denser planting in my aquarium, although I do see the beauty in Iwagumi's, even if they look somewhat bare (to me). Going on that, and not having any Iwagumi experience, I could only suggest some sort of stem, maybe in the rear right corner, to help lift the eye upward. Why not try dotting some Pogostemus (I love Pogo, so I'm being biased), around the place to help break up the expanse of HC. Pogo doesn't seem to grow very high, so might give a nice contrast, without being too in your face. I'd also introduce some driftwood, oriented to break up the middle horizontal plane.

But that's just me. Others might have different tastes, or your intentions for the tank might be based around the Iwagumi style... Post some pics once you work it out :)
I suppose you mean Pogostemon helferi (downoi). THat's what I thought of using too to give the tank abit more variety.
Not sure about adding another driftwood tho...it will probably involve rescaping the whole tank.

The light is a 2x13watts "heavy duty work light" I got from canadian tire for $29.
Tank is a 5.5 gallon rimless I got from local petshop.

The photos are actually dated, the first 2 photos are day 1, then day 26, day 32, and day 39...full carpet was about 45days from first planted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts