Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I dont dare to use dewormer as it will kill snails, and I heard that it remains toxic to snails long after its use. I was able to eliminate planaria in my shrimp bowls by vacuuning with a turkey baster after months of picking. I feed my shrimp with floating pellets only that lure planaria to crawl up the glass as they can smell food but can’t swim. I started out picking a dozen big ones at each feeding, reduced to a few smaller ones after a month, and only tiny ones occasionally after 6 months effort. There were days that I didn’t spot any, and if their absence can hold for a month, I can declare success.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont dare to use dewormer as it will kill snails, and I heard that it remains toxic to snails long after its use. I was able to eliminate planaria in my shrimp bowls by vacuuning with a turkey baster after months of picking. I feed my shrimp with floating pellets only that lure planaria to crawl up the glass as they can smell food but can’t swim. I started out picking a dozen big ones at each feeding, reduced to a few smaller ones after a month, and only tiny ones occasionally after 6 months effort. There were days that I didn’t spot any, and if their absence can hold for a month, I can declare success.
That is what im doing in my 10gallon but its a little hard in my 75

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would love to just put my beta in there but that would be bye bye shrimplets
Many fish will eat planaria. Try guppies or small tetra that are less predatory and don’t venture into vegetation to hunt shrimplets. It’s still advisable to feed shrimp with floating pellets to lure planaria out on glass for easy picking by fish or hand. Yes, it’s hard to hand pick in a 75g. Traps will work too but too slow and not as effective as hand picking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts