Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Time for a little update. I ordered a ton of plants from Dustin's Fish Tanks because I have no idea what I'll be able to keep alive long term so. Planted it all Wednesday, just kinda where I liked it (tho I tried to keep red plants nearest where the light is the strongest).

Of course, the ammonia was nuts, so I just did a 30% water change after work today, and I'll be doing so frequently while the plants establish themselves. The water was even looking a little green! But I was super excited because I think there's new growth already!

I'm getting a GoPro soon, so I'm hoping to start taking video of the tank soon. It'll be fun.

I also found a good lfs, so I'll be choosing stock from there. I even got an old display 10 gal of theirs that I'll use to quarantine the fish as they come in (rimless, $10, I nearly cried with delight). But they have neocaridina and amano shrimp, panda cories, neons, rummynose, and honey gouramis, so that's what I'm gonna stick with for my ideal stock.

The next big step will be for me to set up the second filter that I plan on using to cycle the q tank. It'll help a bit with the dead spots in the tank too I think, or else I wouldn't bother plugging it into the air pump. But other than that and keeping the ammonia down a bit so the plants don't die from that, we just gotta wait for the tank to do its thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’d stick away from gouramis of the cosilia genus (honey and dwarf and flame and powder) they can get a nasty disease called iridovirus that I have experienced and it’s terminal and its Super super common in inbred cosilia gouramis (which is almost all cosilia gouramis) Viral Aquarium Fish Diseases | Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine also I’d worry about temperatures not mixing, the rummy noses and neons don’t have the same temp. I’d maybe do like a Orinoco river Themed tank with neons, bronze cories and keyhole chiclids because they are all very peaceful. You could even do angels or other tetras. I’d say the green water could just be reflections from the plants. Your tank would look awesome with maybe 30 neons like 20 cories. If you can get the wild Orinoco Venezuelan aneus you would regret passing it up. And like 8 keyhole chiclids then you would have a thriving tank and you could do lots more tetras and lots of shrimp. IME keyholes won’t bother shrimp, just make sure to keep some leaf litter because they do like digging in leaf litter.
I want to take my chance on honey gouramis. Worst comes to worst they die and I've learned my lesson. Fortunately, the lfs I am gonna stick with doesn't even keep dwarf gourami and all their tanks are separate systems, so that helps cut down on potential cross-contamination a bit.

Neons and rummynose do have a very narrow temp in common, like 2 degrees worth. After being reminded about how high German rams tend to run, I checked and double checked what would be the most ideal parameters for my tank, then checked against my water and what my heater can run. My tank sits easy right in the middle of the temp range. My partner and I also are set on pandas. I don't want wild caught fish ever, and I personally am not a fan of angels.

The water I dumped in the tub was green, so it wasn't just the reflection.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Why are you making such a big deal out of this? I'm one person, so it's not like I'm taking away these people's jobs single-handedly. I don't want wild caught fish; shrimp are different imo.

The most I'd currently change my mind on is the neons, but that's only because its body type is similar to the rummynose. I may go for harlequin rasboras or something else that's small and fun to swim around. I'm sorry if you like my tank and you're disappointed I'm not stocking it how you want, but it's my partner's first tank and my first big one, so I'm going to do what we want and research the hell out of it so the fish we choose are living their best lives.

·
Super Moderator
2,792 Posts
I like that you filled the tank with all kinds of plants and spread out your stem plants. Looks like you've got a soil substrate with a thin enough cover that it won't smother bacteria in the soil layer. You sound like a very conscientious fish keeper. Choosing fish for this tank should be fun. I hope that you will let us see your progress.

·
Banned
323 Posts
Make sure to keep in mind biodiversity. Father fish says that biodiversity is key to a healthy tank, more types of fish = more filled niches in your ecosystem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I like that you filled the tank with all kinds of plants and spread out your stem plants. Looks like you've got a soil substrate with a thin enough cover that it won't smother bacteria in the soil layer. You sound like a very conscientious fish keeper. Choosing fish for this tank should be fun. I hope that you will let us see your progress.
Thank you Ms. Walstad for your kind reply. I do plan on showing my progress as it continues! I even got my GoPro but I got to experiment a bit with lights to make sure I'm not accidentally reflected in the glass lol.

In a more general update, I find myself in the living room more often and with a little more energy since starting the tank. This is nice just because I've been off my meds for so long that it's hard to remember what it's like to be functional. But now I'm out in the living room fiddling about and taking my dog out more often. Good for us both. Today's a hard day. But I've still managed to get up and moving and I'm cleaning up the apartment a bit before taking the puppo out for a walk around the block.

I also have that 10 gallon and it's becoming seriously tempting to go to a local river and collect stones/wood to go ahead and prepare for an alien betta. I'm seriously debating between a "magical forest" tank where I intersperse a few pieces of quartz and silk plants with live plants and natural wood or just another wild place where the betta and a handful of cardinal tetras stand out.

Either way, no pics for the day. I'm going to play with the gopro again today after I check the ammonia. Probably need to get all that excess nutrients out since I was dogsitting all day yesterday.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Got my second pfizer shot yesterday and I ended up feeling high key terrible until about a couple hours ago. I finally did another 20 gallon water change on the 75, and I tried to take a couple videos on the GoPro. We will see how that turns out tomorrow since I got to work.

I scared my partner though. I was halfway through the change when I saw fry! I was warned there might be some dario dario babies in the java moss, and of course we've seen MTS snails trying to escape because the soil wasn't mineralized and it's just super hot right now. I've not been doing daily water changes to keep the nutrients down terribly much either, just trying to take the edge off so the plants have a chance to figure out if they want to live or not. But I shot a little video on my phone I can upload here.

You can get a peek at some of the plants too. Some are thriving, some are surviving, and some are struggling. I also accidentally left out an entire package of plants that somehow wasn't entirely dried out. They got thrown in a few days ago, and I am going to spend my Sunday going through and trying to get some of the worst off plants out so they don't decay and cause more ammonia to be released.

I don't know if these fry are gonna survive, but I'll work on getting the ammonia down to more fish friendly levels. I also added a second sponge filter so it can be cycled for the 10 gal eventually. I am just not over the fact there are 2 or 3 fish? Alive?? How? I have some fish flake. Should I crumple that real small and add that so they have a chance to live?

·
Banned
323 Posts
Go to your lfs or go to a veneral pond find the dirtiest mulmiest substrate you can find, get some and dump it in your tank, the Dario will eat the microfauna

·
Banned
323 Posts
And it will help the plants if you choose the pond route, there’s very little risk of getting some kind of mega predator

·
Banned
323 Posts
Or parasitws. It’s what I feed my rainbow fry and I’d assume that Dario fry are tiny because Dario are tiny and rainbow fry are tiny so they will probably eat the microfauna

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Or parasitws. It’s what I feed my rainbow fry and I’d assume that Dario fry are tiny because Dario are tiny and rainbow fry are tiny so they will probably eat the microfauna
No, I won't be going to a local waterway and adding anything to my tank. I live in Philadelphia; the Schuyllkill River is the 3rd most polluted river in the state and the Delaware River is the 5th most polluted river in the country. I don't know how to say this politely, but I saw your comments about alien bettas being gross hybrids before you or someone else deleted them, and I have very little interest in taking your advice.

To note for the journaling process, I did my reading after making my post, and I've learned the fry are likely living off a combination of infusoria and the "green water" that had begun to redevelop since my last water change. Infusoria is naturally occurring in most tanks, and since I have at most 3 fry, I doubt they're going to starve themselves before getting big enough for regular food. All that said, I'll still attempt to culture my own infusoria later this weekend in an effort to have a backup since I'll be doing more water changes daily until the ammonia levels are in control. This unintentional fish in water cycle is quite exciting. I need to find out if there's any fry in the bowl since it's literally a pile of moss.

Oh, lucky you. I never got mine to breed. Do you have soft or hard water?
I want to redo all the parameter testing tonight, but the last I checked, it's "moderately hard." I'm not sure the water hardness from the person who gave me the moss though. He lives in North Philly while I'm way more West.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Yeah, the microfauna in your dirt tank should be enough. They will need something larger when they’re bigger like bbs or micro worms. I’m raising paramecium and Moina daphnia in preparation for a breeding project.

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
"I don't know how to say this politely, but I saw your comments about alien bettas being gross hybrids before you or someone else deleted them, and I have very little interest in taking your advice."

You are certainly more polite than the rude posts I deleted.

There is a feature in our new format that you may want to use. Click on the name of any member whose posts you do not wish to see. On the member's page, just below the statistics, there will be three options: Follow, Ignore, and Start Conversation. Click Ignore and you will no longer see that member's posts. If you wish to change your mind later, return to the member's page and click on Unignore.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You are certainly more polite than the rude posts I deleted.
Thanks. I usually have him on ignore actually since I learned about the feature, but I like to browse the forums on my phone if I wake up too early for work, and I am not logged in on there. This will have been my last reply to him as I've found most my interactions to be entirely antithetical to the joy and calming nature of the hobby.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Small update. There are two fry it seems, one a little fatter than the other. We've named them both Andy, after a character my partner has made that just refuses to die. I pulled out a lot of stems that have melted, including about 1/3 of the plants I had missed in my initial planting. Some of the pothos looks like it's growing some roots too, so that's nice. I plan on getting a setup for hatching brine shrimp in the next week or two, just so when they're a little bigger, we can keep feeding the Andys. Still amazed they seem to be thriving despite the ammonia being pretty high still.

I also finished the lid for the shrimp bowl. I'll be moving it over to my partner's desk after thinning out the java moss a bit. Pretty sure we decided to turn it into a skittle shrimp bowl, and I think they'll like it a lot when they're on their computer.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Ah, hitchhikers. They’re notorious for only eating live foods. Maybe you can introduced crushed sinking pellets to them in the process Since they’re babies.

·
Banned
323 Posts
2 Dario would be fine in 75 gallons of water without any food if they didn’t eat, my friend had 1 in 2.5G and it didn’t eat anything he offered it but it lived for a very long time. It died from natural causes so 2 in a 75 would be fine

21 - 40 of 67 Posts