Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ah, hitchhikers. They’re notorious for only eating live foods. Maybe you can introduced crushed sinking pellets to them in the process Since they’re babies.
Do you think Hikari First Bites would sink enough for the practice? I would probably soak it in water first, but they're pretty easy to find when the lights are on. They always hang around around the top near where the water is slower before zipping off if they notice me looking for them. So they should be easy to train for breakfast!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Just a quick and somewhat ****ty picture of big Andy. I've not seen the littler fry in about 18 hours, but I'm sure he's somewhere in there. Meanwhile this guy is getting pretty big! It's pretty exciting to watch them grow and deal with me messing around in the tank.

I've also noticed some of the red stems around the big sponge filter have lost most of their leaves. I may leave them and see if they manage to bounce back, but if not, there's plenty of new growth from the cabomba/hornwort that I should be able to replace them in a month.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
More pics post water change today. I'm really pleased with the growth I'm seeing, especially since the shrimp bowl was filled to the gills with java moss until today and almost all the plants were dying/heavily discounted pieces from one of the local PetSmarts.

I've also taken some new measurements from the tanks. And I found out that the guy who sold me the java moss had apparently put a pair of rainbowfish into the tank of dario dario and it's likely I got one of his first fry from the pair. No idea if little Andy is also a rainbowfish or a dario. I'm really hoping they're the same, just to make stocking more straightforward down the line.

A couple little speedy things scared me half to death but from my research it looks like a couple water fleas. It's pretty cool seeing life in the tank when we've not actually added anything yet.

IMG_4855.jpg IMG_4852.jpg IMG_4854.jpg IMG_4853.jpg

75 gal: Firmly in the middle of cycling. We've got about 1 ppm of ammonia, .5 ppm of nitrite, and 10 ppm of nitrates. It'll probably take a couple more weeks and couple more water changes before we can start adding inverts and corydoras with our Andys.

IMG_4848.jpg IMG_4851.jpg

2.5 gal: I'm surprised how good it is considering I've done absolutely nothing to it besides top it off and remove the java moss today. .5 ppm ammonia, 5 ppm nitrite, and 40 ppm nitrate. I'll be doing a big ole water change in a minute to help it get to healthy parameters. Especially that nitrite, geeze. I've never seen it so purple.

But I'm super pleased! The pothos is growing roots and new leaves, and I can see a lot of growth in many of the stems. Now to keep this pace.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
So, that's how the fry have been surviving, eating the water flea (daphnia).
When you harvest the duckweed, save it to dry. They make good fish food.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So, that's how the fry have been surviving, eating the water flea (daphnia).
When you harvest the duckweed, save it to dry. They make good fish food.
Well right now, I'm going to be transplanting it to the big tank, but this is a good idea! I know there's some other little wiggly things in the water, but these new things were rather big. Maybe more like aquatic roly polys than daphnia? If I can get a good video I'll have to record because I think I wrote water flea and meant something else.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Your video is private but I think I know what you have. Scuds, Amphipods, basically aquatic roly-poly. Catch them if you can. They're plant-eaters.

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
Here's website showing that scuds are small native shrimp treasured as a live fishfood. There's no indication that they eat plants. Like other shrimp, they eat debris and dead plant matter. Based on Michael and Mistergreen's okay and this website, I would consider scuds (Gammarus species) as an interesting asset to your tank.

And thanks for the beautiful video of your scud. I had never heard of them until this morning.

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
I've never had problems with scuds as my fish exterminate them immediately. The only time I saw a problem was in a friend's tank with shrimp, very delicate plants, and no fish. Scuds multipied rapidly and did seem to damage plants. I gave him 3 male Endler's for the tank--problem solved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Small update, nothing much since life is hard atm. Mental health is no joke.

Talking with the guy I bought the moss from, it looks like big Andy is actually a full grown female. Guy doesn't know what sort of rainbowfish she is, but from what I can tell, she might be a Pacific Signifier Blue Eyed Rainbowfish (psudomugil signifer). I'm not totally certain though because she's so tiny and p. signifer can be like 1.5 inches long. I'm hoping to get a proper ID eventually since in any case I want to make sure they have a proper little school. I really don't like not giving them the optimal conditions to thrive.

"They" because now that little Andy is a little bigger, he is looking just like Big Andy. Tiny, bright blue eyes. I usually find BA quicker than LA just because of where they like to hang out in the tank.

Honestly, I'm still impressed they've survived 6+ ppm of ammonia. I wonder what would've happened if I hadn't noticed some of the plants starting to burn from the excess. They probably would've died.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

I don't know how, but there's 4 of these little guys in the tank now. And their bellies are turning red! What are you little guys? The seller hasn't replied to me.

Also I did a small water change since my ammonia was still between 1-2 ppm. The nitrites were 0 though, so I'm hoping that means we're starting to cycle. I didn't believe it at first and had to test the water twice!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
The 4 babies can be your test fish for monitoring water quality. If they survive, that's a good sign.
I think these guys are extra tough since they've been in since the beginning, when ammonia was off the charts. But yep, I love watching them grow up. Super curious about what exactly they are.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts