Aquatic Plant Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Don't have much of a positive update, but most of my plants don't seem to be doing well for the most part. Their leaves have all melted away, and I'm not certain if it's from a lack of light or what. I may bump the light up for awhile and see if there's any change, as well as the usual water change for the fry. Pic below with lights at 40%.

That one betta bulb and the pothos is doing crazy well though. The pothos has lots of new leaves and growing roots down, and the bulb plant appeared overnight. There's a bunch of stems floating in the corner for when I can put it in my 10 gallon. The other thing is a brine shrimp incubator that's currently empty. It's super fun to use and the fry eat the bbs up like mad.

idk. There's no smell (not that my sense of smell is great but my partner says there's no smell) and it does look like it's mostly the plants under the driftwood. So I think increasing the lights will help reach the harder to reach spots. I'll keep it at the normal cycle but bump it up and see if we have any algae explosion, though so long as it's not pea soup water I'm not certain I'd mind a bit of algae.

Anyway, that's it for an update. Mostly I've learned I'm probably bipolar, and while I'm working towards a diagnosis and medication, I've fallen into my far more common depression mood swing, which makes everything drag. The tank helps though. It gives me an extra purpose to get up and check on the fry before I take the pup out for a walk.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't have much of a positive update, but most of my plants don't seem to be doing well for the most part. Their leaves have all melted away, and I'm not certain if it's from a lack of light or what. I may bump the light up for awhile and see if there's any change, as well as the usual water change for the fry. Pic below with lights at 40%.

View attachment 73550

That one betta bulb and the pothos is doing crazy well though. The pothos has lots of new leaves and growing roots down, and the bulb plant appeared overnight. There's a bunch of stems floating in the corner for when I can put it in my 10 gallon. The other thing is a brine shrimp incubator that's currently empty. It's super fun to use and the fry eat the bbs up like mad.

idk. There's no smell (not that my sense of smell is great but my partner says there's no smell) and it does look like it's mostly the plants under the driftwood. So I think increasing the lights will help reach the harder to reach spots. I'll keep it at the normal cycle but bump it up and see if we have any algae explosion, though so long as it's not pea soup water I'm not certain I'd mind a bit of algae.

Anyway, that's it for an update. Mostly I've learned I'm probably bipolar, and while I'm working towards a diagnosis and medication, I've fallen into my far more common depression mood swing, which makes everything drag. The tank helps though. It gives me an extra purpose to get up and check on the fry before I take the pup out for a walk.
I'm betting your Memorial Day weekend was a washout, too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I'm betting your Memorial Day weekend was a washout, too.
Yes, but that's mostly because I worked Saturday and work tomorrow. Yesterday was super rainy as well lol. But I've enjoyed resting today since I'm a dog groomer and I've had a series of 150+ pound dogs I've worked on. My pup's liked it too since she likes to try and sleep on my chest like she's a cat.

·
Super Moderator
2,735 Posts
This tank has rocks, wood and filter taking up more "floor space" than plants. If you have a soil underlayer, it would be ideal to have plant roots digging into the substrate to keep it healthy. Otherwise, there's really no point in having a soil underlayer.

If this were my tank, I would remove the rocks on each end and replace them with strong rooted plants. A 75 gal is a big tank where you could go wild with Amazon Swordplants, Val and other strong rooted plants. Even if you just spread out some of your stem plants.....

However, if you are enjoying your tank, then that's all that really counts. :)

61 - 67 of 67 Posts