Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've heard stories of crayfish eating java moss. I wouldn't trust them with java fern either. The plants I would try would be hornwort(hey, its cheap, and I don't think those hard leaves would have any meat on them) and floating plants.

Best to make a couple rock caves, preferably so that you can look into them, as the crayfish will hide most of the time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
True that they probably prefer meat, as it is harder to get. However, I spent quite some time outwitting crayfish I had added to my pond. They enjoyed climbing the lily pads and lopping the stems off! Sometiems they would ride the floating leaf until nothing was left.

Depending on what kind of crayfish you get, the vals will probably be bulldozed. You are most likely to encounter Procambarus clarkii, which grows to 6 inches. I kept a few in my 46 gallon bowfront a few years ago...lovable, yet nasty, critters.

·
Registered
302 Posts
LOL I've had crayfish dissapear like that too. One of them got lucky and I found it on the lawn one dewy spring morning.

Able_Ranui: Sounds good! Have you been feeding him? What has he eaten?

·
Registered
302 Posts
How big is he/she anyway? Have you confirmed the sex of the crayfish?

For P. clarkii(most common crayfish available) the max is about 6 inches. They would be pretty formidable creatures at that size if they weren't so clumsy...lol. You still gotta be quick to nab them with your hands and not get pinched though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts