Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I have:

70 Gal. FW community planted tank. CO2 injections, EI dosing of ferts, 4x39w T5 HO lights, Fluval 405 canister filter! Tank is 36" wide by 18" deep (front to back) by 25" tall / height.

Water (from well) chemistry is:
NH3 = 0.0
NO2 = 0.25
NO3 = 30.0 (Never been this high, only since I started dosing ferts, this measurement at end of week before 50% water change)
pH = 7.2
kH = 125.3 (or 7 drops)
gH = 232.7 (or 13 drops)

Looking for recommendation for good plants (background, midground, foreground) for this environment.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I would think with that light you can grow any plants you want. Tank is a little tall so you'll have to watch shading for the shorter plants.

The world is your oyster! It's really personal opinion. Look in the plant finder for choices or pick a person's tank that you like and ask them what some of their plants are. If your new at this start with easier plants and work your way to harder ones once you've gotten the hand of it. The difference between easy and hard plants is consistency of dosing, enough CO2, proper lighting, - basically balance. Some of them like one balance and some another balance.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
The first gold banner bar on your computer screen says, "plantfinder, fertilator, algae finder..." If you put your cursor on plantfinder and click it will come up. Then you can "view all records", choice at bottom and all the plants, px. and requirements will come up.

Px of peoples' tanks are in their threads. For example if you look under my sig bar you will see 125g. Click on that and my 125g thread will come up. I have pxs of my tank in that thread. Many of the "journals" have px. Some people even put "many px" in their title.

·
Registered
166 Posts
With injected CO2 and EI ferts, you're in pretty good shape. Your lighting is good, but the depth of the tank will take away some of it.

I think you'd be good with basically any low light to medium light plant. I don't think high light plants would do well.

There are so many plants to choose from, it's hard to specify any single plant. I can tell you that one of my favorites is Limnophila hippuroides. I like reds and pinks in my plants, and this one has a beautiful bright, deep pink color. Really stands out, and it's growing very easily in my tank. I've seen reports that it does well with medium light.

I like Crypts as good basic plants because I have found them to be very hardy and they don't require a lot of maintenance. There are so many different kinds of crypts, you can get anything from short to tall to green to bronze/red. Most should do well with your setup.

There are lots of other plants you could use. Check the For Sale or Trade forum for some good deals. Look at other tanks, and when you see a plant you like, check it out.

If there are any specific characteristics you're looking for, if you list them, I'm sure people can give you ideas.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Vicki - he has T5 HOs. Doesn't that put out much more light than regular? At least that's what I understand.

I like the Limnophila hippuroides (aka aromatica) too. It does take up space but it's beautiful.

Just jump in with both feet and get wet. You'll find out what grows well for you. The water's fine!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, you've certainly given me enough to keep me busy for a long time. Have you purchased plants online before or do you have a good source nearby?

I didn't find Limnophila hippuroides in the plant finder.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Look under Limnophila Aromatica.

I have gotten some plants online, some at my LFS and some on the Forum. BY FAR the best source of plants is on this or one of the other planted tank forums. I ended up with clado from the LFS. I heard from another guy that he got planaria from an online dealer. None are death to the tank but a problem to get rid of. You could start out with one of the plant packages people offer or just keep a watch for those you like.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Vicki - he has T5 HOs. Doesn't that put out much more light than regular? At least that's what I understand.
Yes, HO puts out more light. That's reflected in the wattage. My TEK lights on my 75g are T-5 HO which is what I was basing my suggestions on.

From what I understood him to say, he has 4x39w T5 HO lights for a 70g, 25" tall tank. The lights come to 2.23wpg.

I have 4x54w T5 HO lights for a 75g, 20" tall tank. My lights come to 2.88wpg.

When combining his wpg with his exceptionally tall tank, I'm not sure he'll do well with plants that require high light. He might be able to, especially as they grow taller and closer to the lights, but things like high light ground covers may prove challenging.

It's just a guestimate on my part based on my tank. He'll have to experiment to see what plants work well. But just to get started, I think it'll be easier to stick to med light plants and graduate to high light plants later, if he wants. That way, if the high light plants don't work out, he'll still have a great tank of med light plants.

Look under Limnophila Aromatica.
Whoops! Thanks for catching that. I did a quick copy/paste and obviously got the wrong one!

Limnophila aromatica is the plant I was referring to. I got mine from another board's forum similar to this board's "For Sale or Trade" forum. Generally, you'll get great deals and have a much better selection to choose from. Check the seller's feedback (most are great) and ask if they have algae or snails or anything else of concern. Since most people selling in those forums are regulars on the boards, they take great pride in the quality of their plants and fast shipping.

You can buy online and through stores, but to be honest, my best plants have not only come from others on boards, but from the extras they've sent along with the plants I've bought! Not to mention the kindness of a certain Gal in Tex. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts