Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received some crypts today that were in transit for 2 days and I think there is a spathe. Is this the start of a flower?

I've not seen a crypt flower before, what are the chances of a flower surviving transit and replant? The growth on the leaves appears to be immersed growth so should I leave the plant under water and hope for the best?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Yes, that is a spathe. Your crypt looks like C. spiralis or a C. crispatula variety.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
I still vote new leaf. It would help if we knew what species it is or is supposed to be anyhow. Any idea?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This plant is supposed to be Crypt. Crispulata var. Tonkenisis. This ID isn't confirmed and would like to know if it's true or not. I've had this plant in a different tank for some time and have seen the new leaves developing and they look nothing like this. The other tank in question can be seen in this tank
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/cryptocorynes/53083-new-crypts-already-addicted.html

I think it's a spathe personally, but I'm not 100%. I told the supplier about this and provided the picture above and he said that it's not un-common for his crypts to flower at this time of year. I think he farms them in ponds, the leaf growth is certainly of an submersed form, I didn't think it was common for crypts to flower under water? As both the plants I purchased have these spathe like growths on them maybe it suggests that this species does this frequently?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Farcanal,
It's a little hard to tell from the picture whether it's a leaf or spathe. I can tell you that if it's the same plant in your other tank then it's not C. crispatula var. tonkinensis. Tonkinensis has very thin leaves. My plant would consistently throw out leaves about 1 mm wide, and totally smooth. Your plant looks more like Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae. I'm not saying that it is but it looks like it....definitely not tonkinensis.
aaron:D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a pic of the same plant in a different tank as it throws out a new leaf;

I have 3 variations of Crypt Crispulta in the one tank and at this stage I'm calling them;

Crypt Crispulta var. Balansae - The biggest of the 3 and the one I have most of. It's getting leaves to 70-80cm long, stays green and throws out plenty of runners. It's the one at the back of the tank in the link.

Crypt Crispulta var. Tonkenisis - Stays alot smaller than Balansae and gets red leaves with green edges. It doesn't look anything like the plant pictured on "The crypt Pages" site however. My LFS has a plant book with a submersed picture and discription that match this plant to this name. Can't find any other GOOD pictures of this plant growing submersed and hopefully it will grow in my emersed tank. What ever this plant is it does send out runners in my aquarium which tonkenisis isn't supposed to do again according to the crypt pages discription.

Crypt Crispulata - About the same size as the Tonkenisis (?) but the leaves are growing brown in color and with a narrow leaf. I have this plant growing in my emersed setup and will take some photos soon.

I'm sure I've got 3 different Crispulata's and I'll take some photos tonight (Aussie time) and post them. I only have one growing in my emersed tank but plan to get all three going to get an ID on what they may be.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm with Paul & Richard: Definitely a spathe!

It's not uncommon for imported crypts to develop a spathe which successfully opens. Good luck!

Please show a pic of the whole plant. Many populations of the crispatula group can open their spathes when growing submersed. Depending on the ongoing development it may be preferable to lower the water level if the spathe doesn't make it to the surface though...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi FarCanal,
Nice plants, nice culture.

I was looking at the newest picture you put up and I am sure that this isn't C. crispatula var. tonkinensis. Like I was saying, tonkinensis has very thin leaves. 1 to 2mm at the widest in my experience when grown submersed. Also it is a smaller plant than the one pictured, at least when grown by me:( Could be poor culture but I had the plant growing submersed for over a year and it was consistently throwing out new leaves and looked very healthy. My plant never grew more than 8-10cm tall....maybe even shorter (it was several years ago and my memory isn't perfect) Part of the reason why my plant was on the shorter side was that the leaves would tend to kind of curl a little bit outwards. The leaves were also very much flat, not "ruffled" at all like the one in your picture. I looked for a picture I had of it but I think I accidently threw it away when I moved last. I found one pic that shows the top of 1 leaf. It would only be good to demonstrate the thinness of the leaf and the outward "curling" that I was talking about. If you like I can try to scan and post it.

I would also like to say that you grow your plants very nicely. And I hope that I'm not offending you in any way. I just thought that you might want to know so that you can continue looking for C. crispatula var. tonkinensis if you find it necesary.

aaron

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kai Witte - I've moved one of the 2 plants into my emersed tank and the spathe is growing, it hasn't opened yet but my fingers are crossed. Here are some pictures of the same plant in a regular fish tank;

and here is a picture of a runner when it first popped up;

When I first moved the new plant with spathe to my emersed tank I took this photo;

Hopefully I'll be taking another photo of it soon, it's straightened up and about an inch longer.

Mats808 (Aaron) - Mate I'm not offended at all, don't worry about that. I've seen pictures of and read what I can find on Tonkenisis and according to all but a quite old book it looks vastly different. The plant you are discribing matches up perfectly with what I've found on the web and I don't dispute that you're right. The book I found with a picture that matches mine is quite old and has most likely been re-named to something different. I might start calling my plant "C. Crispulata Red" until I can get a better discription.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just went in to give this tank a bit of a mist spray and some ferts and the spathe is opening ...

I'll take it out and get some better photo's if it fully opens.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I've taken some more photo's today. The spathe looks closest to a Crypt Crispulata var. Balansae. If anyone want to have a go at an ID ... please go ahead. Anyway the photo's.

Here's a leaf from my emersed tank, pretty much how it came from the supplier;

Here's a leaf from my 4' fish tank;

The spathe and kettle removed from the plant;

I had a go at cutting away the kettle wall but I don't have a macro lens to get a better shot;

1 - 20 of 35 Posts