Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks here's the deal...

My tank's growth has slowed down considerably since I set it up and I'm starting to see deficiencies. I've picked up the pace of nutrients but I think I'm a little behind or missing something all together. I've attached a few pictures for you to maybe help me identify whats wrong.

Tank Parameters

26g bowfront
Coralife 2x65 watts fixture with 9.5 hour photoperiod.
79.2 degrees
ph 6.8 to 6.9
kh 110 ppm
25-30 ppm CO2
Nitrates are around 5-10ppm
Flourish at 2ml's a day
Flourish Iron at 1-2 ml's a day for the last 3 days
TMG at 3 ml's a day
potassium at 3-5 ml's a day
I added 1 whole crushed eggshell for Calcium tonight
a couple pieces ?1/4 tsp? of Epsom Salts every few days.

Now here's the thing all the trace bottles are a couple years old. They've been refrigerated so they should still be good. I added a couple drops HCL to the Flourish bottles to supposedly help out the mix a bit. The only reason I've been dosing so much trace chems is because the tank has slowed so much. New growth on most plants was clean and looked good until 2-3 days ago. The tank was going great for the first 10-14 days and pearling like mad. Now I get hardly any pearling at all and haven't for about 2 weeks.

Can anyone help identify the deficiency by these pics? I hope so...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wnf_r...//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wnf_racing/my_photos

Hope you all can help!

Cheers,
Anthony

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
whats your gh and Ca levels appears like maybe a calcium defeciency. maybe hold off on the epsom salt mix until u know the ca ppm. Try to keep the Ca/Mg ratio about 4 to 1 or higher.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was thinking perhaps that might be the case but...

Tank water Gh is at about 190ppm using the Nutrafin Test kit.

Tap water Gh is at 60ppm. The tankwater is adjusted upwards with Baking soda.

According to the Nutrafin book GH is expressed as CaCo3. This is also after adding the crushed eggshell. I don't know that much of it dissolved after only 4 hours in 6.8 ph water though.

I don't have a Mg test.

I'll do a 40% water change tomorrow too. Last one was 40% on Friday.

Does any of that info help?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the only major change being the addition of crushed eggshells, the tank has responded in a big way. The Rotal Macrandra grew over an inch today. As well as a couple other plants. I'll keep a close eye on the L Repens and it's new leaves.

I don't know the breakdown on how much calcium I added with the eggshell but I'll add one whole eggshell once every 2 weeks to avoid this issue. If you think I'm overdoing it please let me know.

Thanks chiahead!

·
Registered
204 Posts
do you put the crushed eggshells into a filter bag within the filter? How finely crushed are they. I've never heard of this before and might give it a try.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I just use calcium chloride-I put in a teaspoon or so every week. I bought Kents Turbo Calcium, but you can find it other ways. I dont know if egg shells is a controllable way to add calcium. Order some calcium chloride form gregwatson.com. Its very cheap, you might want to pick up ur other ferts while your at it. Please update as your tank evolves.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I intend to place an order with Greg as soon as I can. Unfortunately my credit card got hijacked when I ordered some of the stuff for this tank online. Finished dealing with that a few days ago. What a hassle!

I never even considered I would need calcium even though I was going to order a pound of it as a backup. Murphy's law right? hehe The one thing you need is the only thing you can't get locally. The eggshells were/are just an emergency measure. I crushed one whole eggshell (cleaned thoroughly!!!) with the end of a spoon pretty small but nowhere near a powder, and just poured them into the tank. It took about 12-18 hours for them to dissolve.

The tank is doing leaps and bounds better than it was but I'm noticing some more algae than before so I'm going to let the tank burn thru some of the excess ferts I've been putting in. (water change too)

The one thing I'm slightly concerned about is the Rotala Macrandra stem I have is showing some holes in it's older AND newest leaves. Is this a sign of the calcium deficiency too?

Thanks again for your help and I will keep you all updated.

Cheers,
Anthony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts