Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone post names and possibly a pic of any snails that damage/eat plants? I just want to compile a list of snails i should avoid adding into my planted tanks.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
There is a large ramshorn, called the Bolivian ramshorn that has brown stripes running the length of the shell that is a notorious plant eater. It gets a little over an inch in diameter. I think this is a picture of one.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had troubles with all forms of apple snails eating plants in my tank, including Brigs, which are not supposed to eat plants. And I'm certain I had a brig and not a canna.

Ramshorn snails, including the common red ramshorn, will eat certain plants (they ravaged my red root floater).

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Spixi snails (Asolene spixi) will also eat plants. They ate my Hygrophila to a bare stem, but it was just Hygrophila :) From what I've read they are in the Apple snail family.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Southerndesert (or anyone else who can answer),
So wait... the new Tylomelania snails eat plants? I've heard that they were generally plant-safe, and too heavy to climb up most plants to eat them anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.