Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand, respect, and appreciate all of the hard work and dedication put into correctly identifying plants.

I also understand, empathize, and frequently join with those who get frustrated knowing only the commercial or commonly referenced trade names of plants.

Unfortunately, I find myself in the second camp a lot more than the first camp, so have come to pick a bone/make a suggestion! :)

Examples: Tonina Belem. Hemigraphis Traian.

Is it not possible to leave an entry in the plant finder under the commonly known name, reference it simply to a link in the description that says something like "Incorrect species name, plant is actually XXXX. Please go here (link) for species description."

This allows for the correct nomenclature to be made known without frustrating those who are trying to find the plants, via the name the buy them under in the first place. Incorrect or not, genericized trademark/industry standard names should not be ignored in a tool meant to help people find and identify their flora.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
I personally think this is a good idea - it will be easier to get people to use the corret nomenclature if they can find the plant with the 'incorrect' name on the plantfinder.

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
I'm working on a way to do this. Stay tuned.

I'd like to do it in way that avoids confusion. The Tropica entry for Rotala rotundifolia kind of makes it sound like it's synonymous with R. indica, and it's not. Some technical stuff too, but I'll figure it out.

Ideally, I'd like to make some sort of redirect, but I'm not sure I can.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Redirects are honestly not ideal.

You want someone to be able to look at the original posting long enough to learn - not to have a redirect make them think there is some sort of error.

In other words, it is probably more fruitful as a teaching tool, as a learning tool, to look up Hemigraphis Traian, see a big bold statement saying "WRONG NAME, GO HERE TO LEARN ABOUT THIS PLANT", and then a link that one would actively click.

Once I have to click that link, my attention is gotten, and I'm in learning mode.

If I don't have to... I'm not going to learn it. For example, I know Hemigraphis is renamed as something beginning with L I think... but I'd honestly have to go back and re-Google it to find it again on plantfinder. ;) All I came away with was being mad that Hemigraphis wasn't listed, heheh.

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
Do a genus search for Tonina. Notice the second entry. I'm trying to make it so it says something like "correct name is Syngonanthus, etc" below the name, which when clicked on, will get you where you need to be. Something like that, but I want it to still remain uncluttered. I'm still experimenting.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, see, that's a redirect. Only reason I noticed the real name is because I was looking for it.

Now... if instead it made me click... I'd learn the name. ;) Might just be personal foible...

I think a lot of folks won't pick up on it unless they are actively a part of moving to correct nomenclature address. Plus, far easier on you! :)

EDIT: I'm not trying to nitpick you, Cavan. I know you have a passion and dedication to correct taxonomy. I don't, so am trying to show you the perspective of someone who gets dragged kicking and screaming into the nuances rather than finding them fascinating. Plant Finder Tool is probably better geared for those like me than for those like you - a teaching tool for those who'd otherwise not show enough self initiative to figure it out. Make sense? ;)

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Cavan forwarded some ideas to the tech team. They're reply - "it will be difficult, we'll see what we can do". Still waiting for another word from them.

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
Yes, that's the state of things now. What I'd like to do is this:

There would be a synonym field, just like the fields for difficulty, light requirements, location, etc. The synonyms (scientific names or pseduo-scientific ones, not common names) would be searchable. So, you might look up Tonina and find the Syngonanthus species there too, perhaps with a note (remember, there are pictures...). I think it's a good solution that will result in less clutter and no duplicate entries as well as making the resource more user friendly.

·
regulator
928 Posts
I like that, hope its gets implemented. For the Tonina example, it works well because there are entries in both categories.

What about the case of a plant like Hemigraphis 'traian' - would you keep an entry for Hemigraphis and then have a synonym to the proper name? Probably not, because then you'd have 2 entries for one sp and start clutter.. H.traian and Sao Fransisco Irecienu will be harder for me to find once they get proper names without doing a freeform search.

Is it possible to have a keyword search against tags/synonyms? I can imagine a sloppy but fast to implement kludge that leverages all.php to make a rich target for a (yes, not efficient) search using preg_grep or strcmp. Or a proper db search, not sure how the plantfinder's text is organized and what you can do with descriptive fields.

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
I like that, hope its gets implemented. For the Tonina example, it works well because there are entries in both categories.

What about the case of a plant like Hemigraphis 'traian' - would you keep an entry for Hemigraphis and then have a synonym to the proper name? Probably not, because then you'd have 2 entries for one sp and start clutter.. H.traian and Sao Fransisco Irecienu will be harder for me to find once they get proper names without doing a freeform search.
There would be no entry titled Hemigraphis 'traian'. But, you'd be able to search for it in the genus field and the entry with the right name would come up. So, one entry, two or more ways to get there.

Does that answer your question? I'm afraid that some of the rest of what you wrote there is over my head. :)

·
regulator
928 Posts
There would be no entry titled Hemigraphis 'traian'. But, you'd be able to search for it in the genus field and the entry with the right name would come up. So, one entry, two or more ways to get there.

Does that answer your question? I'm afraid that some of the rest of what you wrote there is over my head. :)
yeah it does, maybe I'm still fuzzy on this : what if there are no sp. entered under Hemigraphis? Say the lone entry for H.traian is given a good ID in another genus, then I think that there would be no entry for Hemigraphis in the genus pulldown. Is that right?

forget the other stuff, just rambling. I'm probably not the only coder who stares at pages and thinks of random ways to tweak the logic or interface. I have to say that for what it does, plantfinder is my favorite. I like the general design, and its quicker to find something than other aquatic plant databases. I'm sure I havent seen them all though. :)

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
yeah it does, maybe I'm still fuzzy on this : what if there are no sp. entered under Hemigraphis? Say the lone entry for H.traian is given a good ID in another genus, then I think that there would be no entry for Hemigraphis in the genus pulldown. Is that right?
There would be Hemigraphis in the genus pulldown, even if there were no entry for any Hemigraphis species.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.