Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand, respect, and appreciate all of the hard work and dedication put into correctly identifying plants.

I also understand, empathize, and frequently join with those who get frustrated knowing only the commercial or commonly referenced trade names of plants.

Unfortunately, I find myself in the second camp a lot more than the first camp, so have come to pick a bone/make a suggestion! :)

Examples: Tonina Belem. Hemigraphis Traian.

Is it not possible to leave an entry in the plant finder under the commonly known name, reference it simply to a link in the description that says something like "Incorrect species name, plant is actually XXXX. Please go here (link) for species description."

This allows for the correct nomenclature to be made known without frustrating those who are trying to find the plants, via the name the buy them under in the first place. Incorrect or not, genericized trademark/industry standard names should not be ignored in a tool meant to help people find and identify their flora.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Redirects are honestly not ideal.

You want someone to be able to look at the original posting long enough to learn - not to have a redirect make them think there is some sort of error.

In other words, it is probably more fruitful as a teaching tool, as a learning tool, to look up Hemigraphis Traian, see a big bold statement saying "WRONG NAME, GO HERE TO LEARN ABOUT THIS PLANT", and then a link that one would actively click.

Once I have to click that link, my attention is gotten, and I'm in learning mode.

If I don't have to... I'm not going to learn it. For example, I know Hemigraphis is renamed as something beginning with L I think... but I'd honestly have to go back and re-Google it to find it again on plantfinder. ;) All I came away with was being mad that Hemigraphis wasn't listed, heheh.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, see, that's a redirect. Only reason I noticed the real name is because I was looking for it.

Now... if instead it made me click... I'd learn the name. ;) Might just be personal foible...

I think a lot of folks won't pick up on it unless they are actively a part of moving to correct nomenclature address. Plus, far easier on you! :)

EDIT: I'm not trying to nitpick you, Cavan. I know you have a passion and dedication to correct taxonomy. I don't, so am trying to show you the perspective of someone who gets dragged kicking and screaming into the nuances rather than finding them fascinating. Plant Finder Tool is probably better geared for those like me than for those like you - a teaching tool for those who'd otherwise not show enough self initiative to figure it out. Make sense? ;)

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Poking this discussion up to the top just to see what's up.

I know we'd talked about a few different ideas, Cavan, anything brewing on this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts