Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
7,420 Posts
I'm working on a way to do this. Stay tuned.

I'd like to do it in way that avoids confusion. The Tropica entry for Rotala rotundifolia kind of makes it sound like it's synonymous with R. indica, and it's not. Some technical stuff too, but I'll figure it out.

Ideally, I'd like to make some sort of redirect, but I'm not sure I can.

·
Administrator
7,420 Posts
Do a genus search for Tonina. Notice the second entry. I'm trying to make it so it says something like "correct name is Syngonanthus, etc" below the name, which when clicked on, will get you where you need to be. Something like that, but I want it to still remain uncluttered. I'm still experimenting.

·
Administrator
7,420 Posts
Yes, that's the state of things now. What I'd like to do is this:

There would be a synonym field, just like the fields for difficulty, light requirements, location, etc. The synonyms (scientific names or pseduo-scientific ones, not common names) would be searchable. So, you might look up Tonina and find the Syngonanthus species there too, perhaps with a note (remember, there are pictures...). I think it's a good solution that will result in less clutter and no duplicate entries as well as making the resource more user friendly.

·
Administrator
7,420 Posts
I like that, hope its gets implemented. For the Tonina example, it works well because there are entries in both categories.

What about the case of a plant like Hemigraphis 'traian' - would you keep an entry for Hemigraphis and then have a synonym to the proper name? Probably not, because then you'd have 2 entries for one sp and start clutter.. H.traian and Sao Fransisco Irecienu will be harder for me to find once they get proper names without doing a freeform search.
There would be no entry titled Hemigraphis 'traian'. But, you'd be able to search for it in the genus field and the entry with the right name would come up. So, one entry, two or more ways to get there.

Does that answer your question? I'm afraid that some of the rest of what you wrote there is over my head. :)

·
Administrator
7,420 Posts
yeah it does, maybe I'm still fuzzy on this : what if there are no sp. entered under Hemigraphis? Say the lone entry for H.traian is given a good ID in another genus, then I think that there would be no entry for Hemigraphis in the genus pulldown. Is that right?
There would be Hemigraphis in the genus pulldown, even if there were no entry for any Hemigraphis species.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts