Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the release of the plant finder, users may find plants without photos or plants without descriptions. They are being worked on --as I said in a previous post, this database is still under construction (it will always be, as we will continuously be adding more and more to it).

To further expand this database, we really need more high quality photos. I am putting out a request to the membership of this forum to submit photos. The photographer reserves all copyrights and will be credited for his or her work.

These are just some species I am really looking for at this point:
Ammania gracilis
Anubias barteri v. barteri
Bacopa caroliniana
Barclaya longifolia
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Red', 'Green', and/or 'Tropica'
Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus 'Ozelot'
Echinodorus 'Rubin'
Egeria densa
Hygrophila corymbosa "Stricta"
Hygrophila corymbosa "Siamensis"
Hygrophila polysperma
Hygrophila difformis
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Mayaca fluviatilis
Micranthemum umbrosum
Marsilea sp.
Myriophyllum aquaticum
Nymphoides aquatica
Vallisneria americana var.
Vallisneria spiralis var.
Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
Ceratopteris sp.
Bolbitus heudelotii
...of course, anything else.

Please send all images to:
[email protected]

Thanks!

Carlos

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I was wondering if it would make sense to add more photos to the ones already existing in the database. I mean different angles or appearances (as a result of light, nutrients, etc.)

--Nikolay

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
I agree. I also think it would be a good idea to have additional photos of emersed growth and flowers when possible to aid in identification.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Certainly we can expand the number of pictures of each plant. Different angles, emersed vs. submersed, etc. would be very good.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've received about a dozen photos that we have deemed usable for the database. However, we need more. Remember that all copyrights are maintained with the original owner of the photo.

We are especially looking for photos of Anubias, Echinodorus, Aponogetons, Barclaya, Crinums, and Cryptocorynes. If you have high resolution photos of these plants, please be generous and help support this wonderful resource by sending photography to:

[email protected]

Thanks!

Carlos

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Carlos,

You said, "high resolution photos". How high? How many inches by how many inches, and how many pixels per inch?

I have a picture of Hygrophila difformis in the album. See http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=424

Is it OK for the Plant Finder?

That picture by Wasserpest is a beautiful pictue, but I wonder just what kind of "melon sword" it is. That name was first applied to E. osiris, but this plant is definitely not osiris. It looks like it has a lot of the old, 'red horemanii' in it. I have one of the old red horemanii in a gallon jar on the windowsill, and it has colors very much like that plant. The leaves of my plant are a little narrower, I think.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paul,

We have recently obtained a set of photos for H. difformis for the Plant Finder. All three are in the database.

What is the resolution required? Purely subjective. More goes into choosing a photo than just how crisp or how large the photo is. How well the photo illustrates the plant is also important.

Basically, my answer is: the highest resolution you can.

Send me photos of any size. I'll resize them.

Could you ask Wasserpest, Raul? Thanks.

Don't hesitate to contact me by PM or through my email:
[email protected]

Carlos
---------------
Feed a hungry plant database today, only clicks away! Please email [email protected] with your plant images.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts