Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been tasked with developing APC new plantfinder. For those of you who have not chatted with me, or even seen my nick before I am realitilvly new to APC.

Anyway, Ive been busy busy busy over the past few days writing the code and a database for the new plantfinder. But I need your help!

I have incorporated suggestions read from previous posts, and desire active discussion while still in development. Also would like to keep you informed of my progress also. Please post your suggestions and I will do my best to keep up with replies and keep information coming.

First question:

Q) When will we see the new plantfinder?

A) When its completed enough for public utilization, and free from major bugs. This could be next weekend, This could be 3-4 weeks. No promises on this one.

What suggestions do you have for the future APC plant finder?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What would be interesting for many members is to see the <fields> you are using to develop this database. The layout or artistic side of the web page served from the database is something else entirely. Given a listing of the <fields>, we can give some sort of informative feedback. Otherwise you will simply be limited to "the color of **** is not right" or "can we have this here or there" etc, comments related to the navigation and beauty of the pages.

Does that help?

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Current <feilds> displayed in prototype

Family:
Genus:
Species:
Common Names:
Lighting:
Difficulty:
Growth Rate:
Plant Size:
Aquascape Location:

Those are the ones seen, one would also find a <feild> for images as well as <feild> for the discriptive text.

I hope I am doing this justice, I'm sure Matt will chime if not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gnatster said:
Current <feilds> displayed in prototype

Family:
Genus:
Species:
Common Names:
Lighting:
Difficulty:
Growth Rate:
Plant Size:
Aquascape Location:

Those are the ones seen, one would also find a <feild> for images as well as <feild> for the discriptive text.

I hope I am doing this justice, I'm sure Matt will chime if not.
Common names can have an unlimited number of common names.
can have an unlimited number of images.

ADDING either submersed or emersed feild, depending on discussion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It would help those of us not Latin savy to have the pronounciation of the Latin names. So often plant names sound completely different than they look like they should...at least, to me, they do.

·
Registered
459 Posts
One field I don't see is Temperature Range. I'm not sure if this is really necessary but I know some plants do not do well in certain temp bands.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
"Fertilizer requirements"

The above seems to be relegated to a MEMO field rather than an indexable field which could be placed in the same place for each plant entry.

Some plants seem to have special needs and it would be good to see those needs addressed in a normalized field rather than in a memo field (or not as the case might be).

What do you think about that suggestion?

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
705 Posts
I would like to see maybe like a gallery of each plant. Instead of just one photo, many photos, maybe people here can help with that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
StrungOut said:
I would like to see maybe like a gallery of each plant. Instead of just one photo, many photos, maybe people here can help with that.
I second that. It would be great to see not only a cropped photo of the given plant, but also several photos of the plant being used in various ways within an aquascape.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Many plants have more than one photo. Those with one photo...well, thank goodness I got at least one for that plant.

I'm trying to keep quality high, and high quality photos are not in abundance. They are very hard to find.

I have maybe gotten a total of five photos from the membership on APC. Out of about ~200 photos in the database, that's not a very good percentage.

Help would be great though.

Carlos

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
What is the status of the plant finder? Who is making the final decisions as to what goes into it? Is it still you, Carlos? Can the plant finder be accessed by moderators?

In the recent discussion on Tonina, Andrew Cribb (Pineapple) has a great picture of Tonina, sp. Belem, if one is needed for the plant finder.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Paul,

PF is in the final stages of coding. I should finish that this weekend. We've had tremendous help from MattS.

Mods will have access to beta version to fine tune this iteration of it for a little while. Then it will go live as a release candidate.

As for pictures, please point Carlos to them until we have a more standardized submit methodology.

Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know we're all perfectionists here, but may we make an exception and debut the Plant Finder in its beta version while the admins/mods tweak? The Plant Finder has gone missing for a long time and is sorely missed.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I believe the intent is for the alpha version to be swiftly tested to be sure there are no glaring errors. Upon intial approval PF will be posted with solicitations for desired features both in functionality and ascetics. Then the real fun will begin.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
It'd be more intuitive to make the thumbnails clickable. As we have it now one must click the plant name.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
323 Posts
It would be great if there is a way for memebers to add their experience with the particular plants, looking like a forum thread attaching it after the main description section.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Art, you and your "crew" have done an amazing job on the plantfinder as well as overall design layout at APC. I applaud everyone's effort and your leadership.

I often have problems pronouncing the names of the plant scientific names. I can recognize them when I see them, but can't say or recognized one's that are dictated to me. How about a field for pronunciation?

Example: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/callicht/G_1.PHP

Hail King Arthur! :)

-SULLY

1 - 20 of 25 Posts