Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;

I have a 46 gallon pressurized co2 setup, with just over 2 watts per gallon lighting and adding macro and micro ferts regularily. My plants are growing nicely other than a hair algae problem starting up what causes hair algae?

Also I notice on the bacopa its growing very fast but the leaves from about an inch or more down to the bottom dwindle and become tiny and frail looking but the tops are big and thriving what causes this?

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
My plants are growing nicely other than a hair algae problem starting up what causes hair algae?
I'll let others chime in on this one, but imho, there can be lots of answers to this one. In very broad terms, something is not in balance - ferts, lighting, tank maturity, etc.

Also I notice on the bacopa its growing very fast but the leaves from about an inch or more down to the bottom dwindle and become tiny and frail looking but the tops are big and thriving what causes this?
It is not uncommon for stem plants to lose their lower leaves as they become crowded and shaded from above. I have never noticed them becoming smaller, per se, maybe you're seeing the slow disintegration of them?

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
When you plant bacopa or many other stem plants, the stem you plant may have small leaves for various reasons. In your well fertilized, well lighted tank the plant grows robustly, with full size healthy leaves. But, those original small leaves are still down there on the bottom where they were when you first planted it. Plants grow from the top, so the leaves at the bottom don't get bigger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bacopa plant is now about the reach the surface and is approx 1 and 1/2 ft tall I just cut them down and replanted the cutting today to see if it makes a difference, I totally understand the leaves near the bottom but it was like the laves 2 down from the top that withered and turned a darker shade of green, thats what i was wondering if thats normal.

As for the hair algae im trying to find that balance im following the ferts directions on the bottle and got the co2 indicator now a bit less than the perfect green to see if that helps now about a bubble a second.

I have noticed that when i do a water change as today about 30% one an hour later the plants seem to come so much more alive why is that? is it because of the natural nitrates in the water?

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
When you do a big water change you are adding CO2 also, since most tap water contains quite a bit. Some tap waters contain nitrates and phosphates, but the amount of nitrates in USA water is pretty limited by regulations, so I doubt that being what makes the plants perk up. Most likely it is the CO2, so you could assume you have too little CO2 normally. As the plants grow and fill up the tank with leaves and stems they demand more fertilizers and more CO2, and the water circulation slows way down due to the obstruction, which limits access to CO2 by some plants. That could be the problem too.

·
Registered
534 Posts
What type of ferts are you adding? how long is you photo period? When I have an algae problem I refer to this page

http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

It has helped me a lot in solving my algae issues. I had a tank 3 years ago where I get this crazy idea I could make it super clean by daily 10% water changes, hair algae started and grew like mad. When I Went to weekly water changes it stopped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im using the kent fanily of macro's and the seachem trace liquid.
I dose about a cap of each except for phos, thats a half a cap.

The light period is 12 hrs.

I reduced the ferts to every other day now and dropped the co2 a bit. and did a big water change to see if it helps im starting to notice the brush algae now in places where there wasnt before as well as very long hair algae. The tank is over a year old but the co2 and ferts just over 2 months now since i started.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts