Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a LFS and they were selling couple pond plants that looked really interesting. I took only two plants back because one looked like a lobelia species and the other a verticillata of some sort.

I know steve (spituch) is going to start butchering me and tell me to plant them in my tank and see what happens, and YES..I WILL haha...but I just wanted to see if any of you guys might be able to figure out what they are first.

Here's the first plant ---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the second plant

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If the first plant is really lobelia, then I seriouly lucked out because I bought a BIG BUNCH (maybe 12 stems a foot or so each) for $7 and the versillata look a like plant was hidden with in that bunch. 2 plants for one.

I'm just crossing my fingers. Now

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
They had some of the last one at a nursery I went to yesterday, but no label so I dont know. I would like to find out also.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm guessing that the second one is a small hydrocoytle. It should do nicely in an aquarium. When you plant it not only put the roots in the substrate, but also the horizontal runners. You may want to get some more.

By the stem structure I'm guessing that the first one is not Lobelia. It may not be aquatic.

Steve the butcher

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Steve!

Thanks for helping out. haha. I'll plant all these out and see what happens. It's too bad the first one didn't turn out to be lobelia ...oh wells. Thanks again for reading.

sam

·
Registered
542 Posts
Actually,
I have a little bit of lobelia I can trade you for the glosso if you don't mind some algae. It actually takes 3 mins in 1:20 bleach very well. Lobelia grows very slowly, but in a few months you should have some side shoots for new plants.
Steve Pituch

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The second plant is Hydrocotyle ranunculoides. Kasselmann recommends it as a terrarium plant. It is only "moderately suitable as an aquarium plant".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts