Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this plant near a drainage by my school. I doubt it's aquatic but still worth a try.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
That plant looks like Micranthemum umbrosum. Is any of it growing in water?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I went back and looked at my pictures of M. umbrosum, and, yes, the leaves are rounder. Also, the newest pair of leaves is folded, and in this unknown, it is not. However, the veination of the leaves looks very similar. This unknown does not look like chickweed to me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's help. The plant in the picture wasn't growing in the water. It only gets halfwet when there's a rain, or when the sprinkler goes on. However, the area is very moist. It also looks aquatic, hence the reason I wanted to try it out. I guess it could be some type of Bacopas...

·
Registered
645 Posts
That is not what hemianthus Umbrosum looks like emmersed. But its a good possibility is something that will work out great submersed:) Hemianthus umbrosum is much smaller emmersed and looks like hemianthus callitriochoides (SP? sorry).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Looks like it could be a Lysimachia species to me. I found L. nummularia growing by a shallow creek in my neighborhood.

According to Kasselmann, there are several species in the genus that are good pond plants.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could this be chickweed?

If so, then those two are different plants. If not, could someone take a stab at ID-ing this plant?

I found another almost dried up pond with thousands of guppies, and also found these plants. Need ID as well.

Plant 1: This plant was crawling/floating on the surface of the water. It was found in a very shallow area. The flower is yellow.

Plant 2: Growing with bottom half in the water.

Plant 3: Growing with bottom half in the water.

Plant 4: This plant reminds me of R. rotundifolia growing submersed. The leaves underwater are red/pink. They are green out of the water. Again, growing with bottom half in the water.

Plant 5: This plant looks very similar to Hygrophila, it was growing out of the water.

Plant 6: Some random plant, looks like it could be aquatic.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Plant1 is definitely a species of Ludwigia.

Plant4 looks a lot like a Rotala. Could it be Rotala ramoisir (check spelling)? It's one of the few Rotalas native to the U.S.

Plant5 reminds me of a Polygonum.

The last one really doesn't look aquatic. :)

Carlos

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, Carlos! I thought the first one was Ludwigia too! I'll definitely be trying 1, 4, and 5 out! Still waiting for some information on the other plants.

·
Registered
852 Posts
tsunami said:
Plant1 is definitely a species of Ludwigia.

Plant4 looks a lot like a Rotala. Could it be Rotala ramoisir (check spelling)? It's one of the few Rotalas native to the U.S.

Plant5 reminds me of a Polygonum.

The last one really doesn't look aquatic. :)

Carlos
(1) The species of Ludwigia found in CA are: palustris, peploides ssp. peploides, peploides ssp. montedivensis, repens, and uruguayensis. It looks most like either L. palustris or more likely uruguayensis to me.

(4) Rotala ramosior is indeed found in CA, but it does not have alternate leaves like this plant does.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Error, thanks! With your help, I think we have our first plant: Ludwigia uruguayensis. Yesterday, I tossed everything in a bucket, and today, I saw this:

With that, I was able to compare it with L. uruguayensis' flower, and they look the same.
How does this plant do submersed? How fast does it grow? Is it hardy? Can't wait to try it out! Still researching + waiting for words about the other plants.
Thanks,

·
Registered
852 Posts
Glad to know you positively IDed it. Beuatiful flower!

I don't know how well it does submersed, but I am certainly willing to help you test it out! I am a Ludwigia nut and would like to try to cultivate as many species as I can.

I'd like to trade you for a few stems, if that's not a problem. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
spituch said:
Error,
If you are a Ludwigia fan please look at this plant (Unidentified #1):
http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/unidentified/unidentified.html

Steve Pituch
North American Ludwigias are excessively difficult to identify without the flower. At first glance it looks like L. peploides ssp. montedivensis, but I have a few questions. Where did you find this, i.e. state, county, river, etc.? Also, are the stems and leaves pubescent at all, or are they glabrous? When (if at all) it flowers, does the flower rise up from one of the nodes on a separate stalk or does it develop directly from the rosette? If you have seen the flower, how many petals does it have, also how many stamens?

It also could be a variety of either L. repens or L. palustris.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spituch,
Your plant looks very similar to mine. Can you check my plant #1 to see if they are the same?

Error,
It'd be great if you want to test it out too. I might come back tomorrow (there were some more unidentified plants I didn't take home last time). So if you're okay with accepting a few emersed stems, I will definitely pick some up for you. Let me know here, or PM me with your address.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Magnus, the more I eyeball that flower and the leaves, the more unsure I am about it being L uruguayensis.

The definitive feature differentiating L. uruguayensis from L. peploides (their flowers are almost identical) is the presence of pubescence (hairs) on the stems and leaves. L. uruguayensis is the one with the hairs, L. peploides is the one without. L. uruguayensis also sends up erect stems with flowers while L. peploides tends to keep them on the main floating/creeping stem.

These two pages should help:
http://www.wes.army.mil/el/aqua/apis/plants/html/ludwigi1.html
http://www.wes.army.mil/el/aqua/apis/plants/html/ludwigia.html

Click on the flower at the top for pictures.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts