Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question to two other forums with only one reply. So I thought I'd try here.

I've had this plant for 4 years without a real ID. I thought I would post and see if anyone had an idea.

I got this plant around Easter, 2000. Here is a side view of two stems.

The leaves are *very* finely divided -- much finer than the leaf divisions I've seen in photographs of L. sessiliflora, L. indica or L. heterophylla. The leaves close up near the end of the day.

Here is a vew from above:

At the time my friend gave me the plant she told me something like "it's a limnophila but *not" Limnophila aquatica." I'm not sure why she said that it wasn't L. aquatica other than its size. L. aquatica gets to be about 5 inches in diameter and I've never seen this plant get more than about 3 inches in diameter. The plants in the photograph are 2-21/2 inches in diameter.

I'm not sure but this may be a plant that Tom Barr had and passed around.

Roger Miller

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I can tell you one thing about that plant... it seems to be the same variety sold in the U.S. as "Limnophila aquatica." Unfortunately, the plant sold in the U.S. does not come even close to reaching the same width as the L. aquatica in Europe.

It's grown by FAN, and I grew it for some time. I think FAN calls it L. indica.

Carlos

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I had what was sold to me as Limnophilia aquatica, and it only got big when the shoots reached the surface and grew parallel to the surface. Even then, it didn't get to be five inches across, maybe three or three and a half. When the shoots had not reached the surface, they looked very much like the ones in your picture.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I checked on both FAN and Arizona Aquatic Gardens. Both sell a plant they call "Ambulia" and identify as Limnophila indica. AAG has a crappy little photo of a plant (which is probably FAN's photo) that could be the same plant. But reading Kasselmann gives me little reason to believe the the plant actually is L. indica. She says that L. indica is a) hard to distringuish from L. sessiliflora and b) highly variable. Her photo looks just like L. sessiliflora.

I'm starting to wonder why I would care.

Roger Miller

·
Registered
199 Posts
Roger Miller said:
I'm starting to wonder why I would care.
LOL! Always nice to have proper information though to relay onto your friends and other hobbyists. I've been following this thread to see what the general consesus of the species is just because I'm curious and always looking to learn more about various species.

I like the look of that plant, looks like it would be a great haven for amano shrimp to hang out.

Matt

·
Registered
852 Posts
If L. indica is indeed so variable, I wonder if this is not some uncommon form of that plant. Though, I admit at first glance I thought it was L. aquatica.

Differentiating between Limnophilas is tedious at best without full descriptions, laboratory equipment, and emersed growth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts