Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
The first one appears to be a Ludwigia, probably L. palustris, depending on what part of the country it came from.

The second...good question. But it does look like there's a good chance it'll grow submersed.

·
Registered
852 Posts
New York should be L. palustris, unless someone dumped some L. repens.

The first plant...are any of them in flower? A flower would help out with the ID. The flowers of L. repens and L. palustris are almost identical...square-shaped and yellow. The difference is that L. repens has petals on the corners of the "square" and L. palustris does not. To further complicate matters, the flower of L. repens x L. palustris can have between 0-4 petals and is not easy to differentiate based on foliage alone.

I have some definite L. palustris from Pennsylvania with foliage that is almost identical to that of your plant. I have noticed that L. palustris often has a great deal more red in its veins than does L. repens, and the leaves are often more stronger petiolate and smaller.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Error said:
A flower would help out with the ID. The flowers of L. repens and L. palustris are almost identical...square-shaped and yellow. The difference is that L. repens has petals on the corners of the "square" and L. palustris does not.
According to Kasselman the flower of L palustris has no petals at all.

Roger Miller

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
Re: plant ID

Thr first one is most likely L. palustris. I found some here in PA and had to look pretty closely to find the flowers. The stuff in the top photo is probably the same thing. The second looks like a Polygonum.

Edit: How can I add pictures I took? I tried to add an attachment but that didn't work. I have pictures of flowers as well as photos of L. palustris in its natural habitat.

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
Re: plant ID

Semi-focused closeup of flowers on locally collected Ludwigia palustris. Note the leaf form and absence of petals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts