Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I don't have much information on this plant, other than I had this plant for good six months, I bought this plant in April, this plant was like no ordinary plant it was one of the most exotic plants. It was dark green, didn't require much light. This plant was about 8-10 inches long with an extremely thin and strong stem, almost like a branch. The stem was exactly like a stem of a rose flower, strong like it, but it didn't have any thorns, instead it had some bumps instead of thorns. The stem didn't have any leaves at all, the leaves were all the way on the top. The leaves looked like a weed leaf or like a fern leaf. My betta used to love that plant, he used to lay down on the leaves.

I have been searching for that plant since a month now. What happened to that plant is that it finally got burnt cuz of poor water conditions, i think it produced snails also.

I bought this plant in April from a pet store, they don't know the name, they did say they get all their plants from singapore.

Here is an example picture, the plant doesn't look exactly like this, although the stem is kind of like this except different leaves.

Here is a picture similar to the plant I want:

I really appreciate your help.
Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope that's not it, the plant I want doesn't have any leaves on the stem. but thanks for the try. I was feeling sad because nobody was replying.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That is Myriophyllum spicatum, common name Spiked Water-Milfoil.

I found it by doing a google image search for the name of the picture you posted, spikew. That led me to this site:

http://www.sip.ie/sip070/Plants.html

That is the website in which the picture you posted is being hosted. Next to the picture is a short paragraph which lists the plant's name in the second sentence.

Running a google image search on the name confirms it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The photo you posted is also named. It is Nymphaea20lotus.jpg. That means the plant's name is Nymphaea lotus.

Running a quick google search on that brings up this page which confirms it with the picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymphaea_lotus

The common name for the plant is Tiger Lotus or Egyptian White Water-lily. It's from the same family of plants as the Red Tiger Lotus, Nymphaea zenkeri.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Is this the plant you want? I am confused, because the drawing (second picture) is definitely a Myriophyllum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, it is very similar to that except the leaves are different and the stem is extremely thin and stiff.

Although I really appreciate the search, We are sooo close.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think I got it, Hold up let me find it.
Nvm I cant find it.

IF anyone of you go to Aquatic Quotient.

There was a thread no sure when. But they posted a plant that looked like a palm tree with a bare stem and leaf on the top.

That looks just like the picture you drew.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I got it, Hold up let me find it.
Nvm I cant find it.

IF anyone of you go to Aquatic Quotient.

There was a thread no sure when. But they posted a plant that looked like a palm tree with a bare stem and leaf on the top.

That looks just like the picture you drew.
Exactly, you are on the right track, like a palm tree with a bare stem and a leaf on the top. the stem is really stiff and thin.

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did anyone see my earlier posts? The plants are already identified. The filenames of the pictures have the plants' names in them.

The plant below is Myriophyllum spicatum, common name Spiked Water-Milfoil:

The plant below is Nymphaea lotus, common name Tiger Lotus or Egyptian White Water-lily.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Notice in the picture, the main stem does not have any leaves, but it has 4 smaller stems per node. These stems carry the leaves.

Here are several pictures of Myriophyllum spicatum. Compare the main stem, node stems and then leaf arrangement on the plants below to the picture above.

Very clear picture of the stem, node stems and leaves. Image Source.

Another drawing of the same plant. This one even shows the same plant tips as is in the other picture (middle stem). Image Source.

A third identifying image. Image Source.

Another drawing. Image Source.

And two more pictures. Image Source.

·
Registered
44 Posts
From my understanding, the original poster was using these pictures as a guide.

Complexity did you read the description posted by the the OP?

This plant was about 8-10 inches long with an extremely thin and strong stem, almost like a branch. The stem was exactly like a stem of a rose flower, strong like it, but it didn't have any thorns, instead it had some bumps instead of thorns. The stem didn't have any leaves at all, the leaves were all the way on the top.

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey guys you are right, i was using that picture as a guide, although i have found another picture.

This picture of a leaf ressembles to the one i want:

The leaf ressembles to the leaf on the right and on the left not the middle one.

Sam

Thanks for all your replies and help guys, it is really appreciated. I need to find this plant, it is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Bolbitis heudelotii?

See here:
http://images.google.com/images?q=B...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

hey guys you are right, i was using that picture as a guide, although i have found another picture.

This picture of a leaf ressembles to the one i want:

The leaf ressembles to the leaf on the right and on the left not the middle one.

Sam

Thanks for all your replies and help guys, it is really appreciated. I need to find this plant, it is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hello frozenbarb,
very interesting plant there on aquaticquotient! I'm sure that's also a Selaginella, albeit apparently another species than S. willdenowii. And it produces submerged shoots - that's new for me! On some german forums I've seen pics from S. willdenowii with short submerged shoots, but as far as I know the plants died off after several weeks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts