Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Impulse buy. Just a couple to help get things started. Any idea what they are or require?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Egeria densa (Anachris), Nymphaea lotus 'Red,' Cabomba caroliniana var. caroliniana on the right and the one in the middle is a Myriophyllum species, possibly Myriophyllum aquaticum respectively.

The anachris needs cooler waters to live or it will die, keep the temperature in the low 70's, around 73F.

The plants you got aren't particularly demanding, so they should do well.

The lotus will get huge and take over the tank if you don't cut it back. Also, keep the bulb attached to the lotus out of the substrate or it will rot.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Even so! I had one in my 55g (4 feet by 1 foot footprint) and it took over completely! I didn't have an inch of open water.

I'd bet money it would take over a 125g since its only 6 feet by 1.5 feet.

Watch out for that monster, its cute now but in 3 months time... :)

On the plus side, they have beautiful flowers if you let them get huge. Mine were just wonderful, it nearly made up for having no other plants at all :D

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Just keep your lotus leaves trimmed low, like a dandelion mowed off in your yard. As it makes new babies, sell/give them away. I have this lotus and another in my 125g. It can be done - just stay after it! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts