Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The purpose of the stems on the left (ludwigia repens, rotala sp?, & watersprite) was to outcompete algae & soak up ammonia & nitrate on this new aquarium. I've had mixed results with the algae part as I'm still trying to get this thing balanced out. I've already removed half of these stems on the right in order to make room for the Glosso and Hargrass.

Anyhow, obviously I'm growing Glosso in the mid-foreground, Eleocharis acicularis on the right & along the back, and Java Moss on the rock at right-center. I would like to grow a complementary stem plant on the left to maintain some sort of vertical interest, but I don't think the existing plants are the right fit.

I was thinking of Hemianthus Micranthemoides only on the left. What about Rotala only? Do you think it'd be more aesthetically pleasing to remove all stems from the left? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The problem is that I don't think any stem plant would work well in that corner. I think you should either fill both opposing corners or none at all. The rock arrangement you created seems more like a concave arrangement than a triangular one. I think Eleocharis vivipara would work well planted in both opposing corners, providing some vertical relief to the entire layout.

The rocks are a little brightly colored and could be placed a little more effectively. Is this a 55g?

Carlos

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
tsunami said:
The rocks are a little brightly colored and could be placed a little more effectively. Is this a 55g?

Carlos
I believe it is a 26g(36x10x16), and I really believe you can build a triangular layout but the problem is your tank is really narrow, as you can see the Ludwigia(?) has already made it's way to the font pane so your better of with two mounds in each corner or a zen-style tank. Two do this you would need to have two mounds using similar plants, so use the Rotala indica or the H. micranthemoides to build your mounds but make one mound larger than the other so it won't end up symmetrical. Seconldy I would get rid of the rocks(all of them0 and use branchy piece of driftwood to create vertical lines going from the substrate to the surface. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
comments

Change the rocks to a rock more black(my opinion), but i like very much the position of the plants, a good layout.

Hélder Santos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts