Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
In my opinion you mainly have a fertilizer issue. and your lights likely too bright for the limited growth you are getting. Seachem products in my experience are very poorly balanced with a lot of some nutrients and then deficient levels of others. Also seachem makes mainly sulfate fertilizers. Sulfate fertilizers react with KH. If you have enough KH you are likely loosing most of your fertilizer. You don't say but it looks like you are using iron gluconate. Gluocnate is a type of acidic sugar. bacteria will consume the gluconate very quickly. once that happens is rusts and is no longer available to plants. the twisted ship of the leeves indicates possible calcium and magnesium out of ballance issue. The sister shells basically only dissolve in acidic water with a pH less than 7. Above 7 they are mostly insoluble. I use seashells to control the PH of my RO water i my tank but I don't use them to provide the calcium and magnesium plants need. I dose a small amount of magneisum chloride and calcium sulfate once a week. about 1/2 degree of hardness. Excell is toxic to some plant and is not good for fish either. I would not recomend using it.

Your nitrate, and nitrite and ammonia might be the result of the poor health of your plants. And I also agree your lighting is currently too bright.

I would recommend getting GLA DTPA +EDTA micro fertilizer. It is chelated so KH will little to no effect on it. It uses iron DTPA with issuable up to a ph of 7.5 and may work well up to a PH of 8 and it is much better ballanced than Seachem products. Add to that a lightly dosed GH booster to insure you have enough calcium and magnesium available. After that you should only have to address Nitrogen, potassium, phosphate and sulfur. YOU nitrate levels right not are high enough that you shouldn't have to worry about nitrogen. Then you could dose potassium sulfate and potassium phosphate to fertilize the tank water. You can also use this aquarium fertilizer calculator to determinehow much of each is to add.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts