Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the planted tank hobby due to my daughter gifting me a container for a water garden to be placed in my garden. After placing collected gravel in the bottom, filling with well water, adding a potted lotus seed and floating some salvinia minima on top, all was well until I noticed all the mosquito larvae enjoying the water about 3 days later. So off to the local pet supply for some fish to take care of the larvae. So....I put the fish in one day and the next day I had fish babies. And of course these little livebearers cannot withstand cold temps of North Carolina winters, even though I consider them mild, so I decided to get a used aquarium just as a place to keep the fish for winter. I had a small bit of aquarium keeping knowledge from having a small tank years earlier, but this was before the internet so I was dependent on a small booklet I had gotten from the pet store at the time I purchased the aquarium for all my how to info.
Needless to say things have changed quite a bit since those days. I have been overwhelmed by the amount of information available and I believe it was pure luck that I was ever able to keep any fish alive.
All that being said, I now have 2 small tanks that I am trying to get through the cycling phase over the summer so I can bring these little critters inside for the winter. I have spent countless hours watching youtube videos and reading articles on forums such as this to help me make this happen. I have fallen in love with this planted tank hobby and can't seem to learn enough fast enough.
And finally to my question.
About 10 days ago I bought some potted plants and placed them in my 10 gal tank. They have not melted but have not begun new growth either. From my research I have learned there can be a melt off of foliage due to acclimating to a new tank but that hasn't happened. I am wanting to divide these to spread them out in the tank and was wondering if I should wait until they go thru this melting phase and begin new growth before dividing or do it now?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Glad you're enjoying the hobby. You can also keep native shiners and such that can survive the winter, as long as it doesn't freeze solid.
It's up to you on splitting the plant. I sometimes split the plant at the beginning so I can have 2 plants for the price of one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts