Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rotala indica is growing small leaves. What could be the cause of this?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Plant problems?

I am having problems with my plants. Is this the right place to post this?

My plants are not growing as they should be. The rotala indica is growing small leaves.

Light is 1 t5 compact 65 watts and 1 plant grow bulb 20 watts over it. Lights on 5hr off 2hr on 4hr.

Substrate is 3 layers. 1st layer is a mix of dirt, dynamite fert, shults root starter and kitty litter. 2nd layer fingers width of pool sand. 3rd layer flourite.

Co2 in form of flourish excell.
Fert is potassium. Waiting for calcium sulfate order.

Water is very soft and ph is 7.4

Anybody got suggestions as to what I can do? Just ordered some Tonia and Hygro sunset. So need get problem under controll soon.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/twister5/

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
I merged the threads. What is the tank size? You're using soil? I didn't see this before I responded to the other one, but more is still needed. The Tonina may have a hard time in a low tech setup. It'd be great if I were proven wrong on that, but I think it will have trouble. There's more about that one in the Plant Finder.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I merged the threads. What is the tank size? You're using soil? I didn't see this before I responded to the other one, but more is still needed. The Tonina may have a hard time in a low tech setup. It'd be great if I were proven wrong on that, but I think it will have trouble. There's more about that one in the Plant Finder.
Yeh, I ordered the tonia because I read at aqua-fish net that it does good in soft water. Afterward I saw it is a difficult plant.

Didn't expect such a quick response.

Forgot to add this is a 29 gallon tank. Using soil for this is walstead method. It is now working for me. Planning to add a 20 watt light.

·
Registered
310 Posts
65watts on a 29g is low/med light. the indica will grow slowly with small leaves if its short stems,you need more light for things to boom. i have 65w on a 30g to and its all low light plants, no medoum light plants grow that great

"Substrate is 3 layers. 1st layer is a mix of dirt, dynamite fert, shults root starter and kitty litter. 2nd layer fingers width of pool sand. 3rd layer flourite."

never heard of ths much different stuff for substrate, is the shultz root start fish safe?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
65watts on a 29g is low/med light. the indica will grow slowly with small leaves if its short stems,you need more light for things to boom. i have 65w on a 30g to and its all low light plants, no medoum light plants grow that great

"Substrate is 3 layers. 1st layer is a mix of dirt, dynamite fert, shults root starter and kitty litter. 2nd layer fingers width of pool sand. 3rd layer flourite."

never heard of ths much different stuff for substrate, is the shultz root start fish safe?
I added 20 watts last night. That is all I have room for. Next stem is to add reflectors between the bulbs.

Assumed additives to soil would be okay because it is capped by sand and flourite. Uncertain now. Since I came back from vacation I have been having trouble with fish deaths. Quarantined, disinfected filter, added meds, salt. Last night saw 1 with clamped fins so added cycle chem and API stress coat. She looks fine today. If after 2 weeks fish still dieing I will start over and not add anything for aquariums into the substrate. The dynamite and cat litter were ideas I got on line by someone whom used them.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hornwort is taking over. I added a 20 watt plant bulb. Now total watts is 85. The tops of the rotola indica are looking better. Some bare spots on the bottom are growing little leaves.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
As plants grow they get closer to the light, thus get higher light intensity, which helps them grow faster and better. I found my stem plants would grow at a reasonable rate until they got about 2/3 of the way to the surface. Then they would do a mad dash to the surface - beautiful big leaves, but big pruning job required immediately. Having the light fixture suspended a few inches above the tank greatly reduces that effect, not that you would want to do so.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As plants grow they get closer to the light, thus get higher light intensity, which helps them grow faster and better. I found my stem plants would grow at a reasonable rate until they got about 2/3 of the way to the surface. Then they would do a mad dash to the surface - beautiful big leaves, but big pruning job required immediately. Having the light fixture suspended a few inches above the tank greatly reduces that effect, not that you would want to do so.
The light fixture is a few inches above the tank now. It is a satellite fixture and it has little legs that it sits on. It has 1 65 dual daylight lamp and 1 actinic lamp. Since 1 is actinic I put a plant grow bulb, 20 watts, under it. So perhaps now things will even up.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It has one actinic and one 65w duel day light? Am I to understand that this has space for two 65w bulbs? If so I would toss the actinic and the 20w and use the two duel day light. I have 130w over my 29gallon and things run fine.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has one actinic and one 65w duel day light? Am I to understand that this has space for two 65w bulbs? If so I would toss the actinic and the 20w and use the two duel day light. I have 130w over my 29gallon and things run fine.
The light fixture has 2 t5 dual lights. One is a 65 Watt Dual 6700K /10000K daylight bulb and 1 is 65 watt actinic bulb. I took the actinic bulb out. Then put the fixture on its legs. Under the fixture I put the 20 watt t8 plant light in the area where there is no bulb. It hangs a bit outside of the fixture.

Lights on:
T5 3hrs 2hrs
T8 2hrs 5hrs
The plants seem to doing better since I added the t8 bulb. I have it on last long so I can view the tank.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sorry I am not getting notification of replies.

I don't remember what this meant. It was some kind of combination with a break in between.
T5 3hrs 2hrs
T8 2hrs 5hrs

I am dealing with hair algae at present. The plants, except Tonia, are growing tall and leggy.

Just did water change and added 5m of flourish excel.
Going to continue dosing 3 ml for 5 days.
Lights are 1 T8 17watt bulb and 1 T5 65 watt compact bulb.
I have T8 on 3hr then T5 on 2hrs and then T8 2 hours, which gives me a total of 7hrs. I am going to do this for 5 days.

If it doesn't work I am going to break the tank down and dip the plants in flourish excel. Then set it up again. I don't know what else to do. For with all the ingredients I have in the soil I can't just take the plants out. Doing it in the past has caused fish to die.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
It has 1 65 dual daylight lamp and 1 actinic lamp.
If this is an USA Orbit Satellite light fixture, they are fantastic. When I ordered mine from Big Al's Online ages ago, I was able to have them let me return the actinic light for another dual daylight bulb.

I hope this is working out for you now.

Jimbo205

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I was have in algae problem it way trying to do these extreme things with lights. Lets make it simple, The 65w and the 17w on for 6 hours. When things start growing an algae gets in line then may be start to lengthen you photo period. Gradually add a little more light, say an hour every two weeks. Then if you get up to a 8-9 hour photo period you can try with maybe a noon burst and when in doubt go back to the last step that worked. I have never seen the siesta period work to stop algae, I read about the idea but never seen it do any good.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
This is the light fixture I have:

I bought it on EBay for $50, including shipping. It is 6 in shorter than my tank but I thought it was a good deal. Besides I have a lot of java fern that I can put in the shaded area. I found the fans quite loud. Did you Jimbo? I unplugged them and put a small desk lamp at the end.The daylight bulb is a 65 W compact 6,700k/10,000k . I believe it gives off photon ratios of blue 3, red 3, white 4. I wonder if the blue light influences algae growth, for told that the actinic light, which has only Blue photons, does.

For the past week I have been adding 5mm peroxide 2x a day and 2 mm of flourish excel 2x a day. If I didn't have val plants I would just dose with the flourish excel. Today I plan to take the plants out and spraying them, except vals, with flourish excel. Then replace the dirt with mineralized dirt. It is a drastic change but I am quite certain that the root start in the dirt is leaching something into the water column. I will top it off with the fluorite which is in the tank at present. Then planning to add diy Co2 with powerhead reactor.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
over 2wpg and DIY co2 will be hard to get stable, but not impossible.
I don't understand why you say this for most whom have over 2wpg have Diy Co2, please explain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts