Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm new to the APC forum and to planted aquariums. I have a 20 gallon tank, DIY CO2 in a 2 litre bottle, 2 X 26w CFL 6500K, low fish load. I'm using EI, with Plant Gro Iron enriched for trace. Plants are growing, and I'm happy with this for now...as I learn.

Does anyone have experience with Plant-Prod Chelated Micronutrients Mix? I can get it at my local agri supplier, 1\2 pound for $6, in Canada. (Can't seem to find CSM+B here, except online through Rex Grigg, which is more expensive and I'd have to pay for shipping.) It looks alot like CSM+B, only missing Mg which I can dose myself. I read in an old APC thread that its the same company. I emailed Plant-Prod to ask about using it in an aquarium setting, and am waiting for a reply. Would be helpful to hear some feedback someone has something to say. Here is the info from their label;

DIRECTIONS
Chelated Micronutrient Mix is a water soluble micronutrient mix which can be used as supplement where deficiencies exist for crops grown in artificial and soilless media.

GENERALAPPLICATIONS:
Use 3 grams (g) of Chelated Micronutrient Mix per 100 litres (L) unless the product is being used to correct a deficiency (see below). This rate will give the following micronutrient concentration in solution:
Iron (Fe) 2.1 ppm
Manganese (Mn) 0.6 ppm
Zinc (Zn) 0.12 ppm
Copper (Cu) 0.03 ppm
Boron (B) 0.39 ppm
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.018 ppm

EDTA Chelated Micronutrients: Actual
Iron (Fe) 5%
Manganese (Mn) 2%
Zinc (Zn) 0.4%
Copper (Cu) 0.10%
DTPA Chelated Micronutrient: Actual
Iron (Fe) 2%
Boron (B) (actual) 1.30%
Molybdenum (Mo)(actual) 0.06%
EDTA (minimum) (ethylene diamine tetraacetate.) 42%
DTPA (minimum) (diethylene triamine pentaacetate.) 13%

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I was waiting to see if anyone with experience in dosing regularly would have a comment. My only concern would be if you had shrimp due to the copper in the mix. I have laced my substrate with a slow release fert in the past that had some copper and it was not a happy end for my shrimp.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
To me, that micronutrient mix looks fine to use for aquariums because (1) all of the metals are in a chelated form and not regular salts and (2) there is boron in the mix. Copper is in most trace mixes so that is really just an issue of how much you want to add, not whether you can avoid adding it at all. For dosing rates, I would aim for the addition of 0.1 ppm of Fe daily and adjust from there. Many DIY trace mixes fortify existing trace mixes with additional Fe so you always adjust your numbers after observing your plants.

And to be honest, that looks very similar to plantex CSM+B anyways with it's two forms of chelated Fe...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts