Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone keep an extra tank going for extra plants? I‘m going to have a lot of extras. I hate to throw them away as I may set up another tank one day, right?

·
Super Moderator
5,736 Posts
Many people do. And it doesn't need to be a "real" aquarium. A plastic storage box will work fine as long as it is strong enough for the weight of the water and has a suitable light source.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I temporarily tossed them into an existing planted (very messy!) bowl then figured I’d just use the bowl for plant storage till I need more storage room.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Some plants can thrive floating others need to be planted in a storage tank. Another option is to convert them to emersed and grow them in planters. No worries about CO2, nutrients, and algae.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do.
A couple years ago I "graduated" from my 20 gallon to a 65 and a 6 gallon Fluval Edge (Craigslisters). The original tank had been up and running for 5 years and I just felt it'd be a waste to toss all that well-aged bacteria, gravel, etc. And besides it seemed like a good idea to have an unoccupied tank for emergency quarantines, or other emergencies so I kept some plants and snails in it and maintain it with a heater and a cheapo Eheim HOB. It also has a bunch of swords (plants) that seem to be mostly happy. Sometimes I rinse out a sponge from the other tanks to add some nutrients which mucks it up for a spell, but that clears soon enough.
I have, though, had a running battle with hair algae which won't take a hint and leave, even with regular doses of Seachem Excel. I've considered transferring back some Siamese Algae eaters and letting them chow down, but catching them first causes too much chaos.
I've also had to lower the natural pH from 8.4 or so to 7.8 with some peat. Not sure what caused it to get so high.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. My bowl has a good substrate, so I can plant if needed. Right now all I have are a few stem types.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts