Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an Oceanic Biocube 29 - one of those all-in-one tanks popular with reefers. I'll be running an extra Rena XP2 canister filter I have for it instead of using the rear filtration compartments, which will give me cleaner and clearer water and be easier to maintain and keep the heat-producing pump out of the tank (the tank is being run in a room that gets warm in summer). The tank has a hood with 2 36W PC bulbs (one is a 10000K coralife and I just picked up 2 6700K PC bulbs from AH Supply, so that I'll be running either the 10000K + 6700 or 2 6700 bulbs).

I have some Seiryu stones I saved for this setup and the substrate with be Turface Pro League gray. I'd like to set this tank up as a zen-style garden ala Amano - Seiryu stones making mountains, with some low growing plants covering the ground, and perhaps some taller accent plant that looks tree-like.

I can hook up this tank to CO2, but it will involve running about 50-70 ft of tubing from the other 125H g tank I'm setting up. So I'd like to try it without CO2 for now and just use Seachem Excel, which I had great success with when I converted a larger tank from high light/fast growing plants/CO2 to lower light/slower growing plants/no CO2. I can easily add the CO2 line if I think the tank could really use it.

I'd like to keep Nerite snails in this tank, and if the choice of fish allows it, Red Cherry Shrimp. I would give up the shrimp for a very interesting and attractive fish that might eat it.

What are your plant suggestions for a zen-style setup in this tank, both with and without CO2?

I'll post pics of the setup once I get it going.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have a 65 watt 10000K bulb over a 29 gallon tank and have been wondering, since it has blue photons, if it 1 of the reasons I had algae in my tank. So if algae starts you might want to use it limited.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I once used an actinic someone had given me mixed in with midday bulbs and it definitely encouraged some type of algae, don't remember which. I'm going to see how the 10000K looks in my tank, I could just as easily switch it out for the other 6700 midday bulb. I won't know until I try them side by side over the setup, and I've got a ways to go to get the layout just right.

BTW, keep in mind that you can have a bulb of a certain color temp that gives off very different visible light than you'd expect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts