Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
The main nutrients needed are:Nitrates,phosphates,potassium & micros. Leaf zone only contains potassium & iron. You also need a carbon source such as Seachem Excel or C02 injection.

Since swords get most of their nutrients through their roots they will greatly benifit from a root tab stuck near their root system.

Here is a nutrient dificiency chart that will help you understand what nutrients are lacking... http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

Another over looked need for plants is lighting. Make sure you have enough light for the plants you have & the correct K rating bulbs. For swords you will need at least 2 watts per gallon or 110 watts for a 55G tank. As for bulbs any where between 5500k-10000k will work.

Welcome to APC!

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
What is the wattage on those bulbs?

I don't think you need to change the substrate out, however I don't have any experince with kitty litter.

If your lighting is where it needs to be, then look into getting a fert routine going with the proper nutrients I listed in my previous post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.