Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
I just wanted to add another report of a high-tech tank with sump. I have a 55g display using dual 1" DIY-PVC overflows that feed under the waterline and into a fluidized sand bed compartment of a 55g sump/refugium. My overflow "screen" is nothing more than a PVC coupler that I knotched 1" long 1/4" wide slots into. It isn't glued on so I can easily remove it for occasional cleaning.

I will attest that my CO2 needs did increase, but only slightly. I was running 1-2bps to maintain 30ppm, now it's holding at 2-3bps. I think this is more a problem with my increased flow than the CO2 loss from the overflows. It's a Rexx Grigg CO2 reactor and occasionally it blows a tiny bouble or two out the submerged spraybar. My Eheim 2217 had less flow then the sumps Eheim 3000 pump. I suspect the higher flow is blowing the mostly dissolved bubbles out.

As for noise, very little comes from the sump. The bubbles that are pulled down are small (possibly being chopped up by the sand bed). The overflow intake is covered by glass tops and a wooden hood and most of it's noise is muffled. I find it makes as much, if not less noise than a HOB filter.

As for critters getting to the pump, how is that even happening for other people? My display overflows to a small sandbed compartment that the water flows over (2 inchs open between top of baffle and tank trim), then it's in a LARGE refuge section that feeds a U shape set of baffles that hold the filter of sponge and Seachem Matrix. The last compartment is the pump house. No critters should be able to reach this section, and even if they some how did, the pump has a sponge screen. If BOTH of the overflows should ever fail, this compartment is setup to run out of water before the display spills over.

All in all, I LOVE the extra water a sump provides. In the refuge I can host Scuds, Daphnia, and snails to break down waste and add free ferts to the water. Once the colonies mature I'll even have free live food. My only problem to date is that my cherry shimp keep riding the overlow like it's part of a water park. Easy enought to fix, I just haven't bothered yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think this warrant a good discussion, why noone setup a planted tank with a sump as it will be hugely beneficial (i will explain later). The usual answer is it will have too much surface movement for co2 which is completely false. Lets look at the setup:

Tank with overflow -> sump in the stand with a good water pump. Find a sump with the input and output towards the bottom of the sump, this will completely eliminate any surface movement.

So why do you need a sump?
1) All the ugly equipments can be completely hidden in the sump, ending up with a clean equipment-less tank
-heater
-co2 reactor(you can have as big a reactor as you want for 100% co2 absorption)
-power head (to create some surface movement at night if needed)
-ph controller..etc...
2) Easy automatic dosing: automatic dosing of 3x macro + 1x micro + iron etc.. is very difficult, now it can be easily and safely done by using those drip medical dosing bottles, just install 5 bottles above the sump and set the drip rate, gravity will do the rest. cheap reliable mechanical setup, no fancy electronic to malfunction. Also a constant drip dosing is much more effective.

3) Can have a light and throw some unsightly nutrient absorbers like watersprit / anarcharis in there to prevent excess algae in the main tank.

So the question remains, why noone has done a sump planted tank? is there something i am missing?
Hi
How I can build a sump with the input and output towards the bottom of the sump, and how I can completely eliminate any surface movement.
I would be very grateful if you could guide me in this regard.
I think this warrant a good discussion, why noone setup a planted tank with a sump as it will be hugely beneficial (i will explain later). The usual answer is it will have too much surface movement for co2 which is completely false. Lets look at the setup:

Tank with overflow -> sump in the stand with a good water pump. Find a sump with the input and output towards the bottom of the sump, this will completely eliminate any surface movement.

So why do you need a sump?
1) All the ugly equipments can be completely hidden in the sump, ending up with a clean equipment-less tank
-heater
-co2 reactor(you can have as big a reactor as you want for 100% co2 absorption)
-power head (to create some surface movement at night if needed)
-ph controller..etc...
2) Easy automatic dosing: automatic dosing of 3x macro + 1x micro + iron etc.. is very difficult, now it can be easily and safely done by using those drip medical dosing bottles, just install 5 bottles above the sump and set the drip rate, gravity will do the rest. cheap reliable mechanical setup, no fancy electronic to malfunction. Also a constant drip dosing is much more effective.

3) Can have a light and throw some unsightly nutrient absorbers like watersprit / anarcharis in there to prevent excess algae in the main tank.

So the question remains, why noone has done a sump planted tank? is there something i am missing?
Hi
How I can build a sump with the input and output towards the bottom of the sump, and how I can completely eliminate any surface movement.
I would be very grateful if you could guide me in this regard.

·
Super Moderator
5,859 Posts
Welcome to APC!

The last post before yours was 8 years ago, so you aren't likely to get a response. Try starting a new discussion with your question. I don't use sumps so I can't help, but I'm sure someone else can.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts