Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the status of the PlantFinder? Is any current work being done on adding new plant photos and descriptions? I would like to volunteer to help add descriptions and pictures. Who is in charge of that section of APC.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Cavin
I would like to compliment you and APC for the PLANT FINDER INDEX.
Before I found it, I just googled to get info about a plant. Sometimes it worked, but mostly I just got useless info or a sales website.
I use it a lot
Thank you
Charles

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cudos to Cavin,
Lately I'm finding plants listed for sale that are not in the plant finder. Are these new species or hybrids? Sorry if it is a dumb question but I'm still new to the hobby and have difficulty putting the right plant with the right name, so I rely heavily apon the plant finder for info. I agree with cbwmn that googling usually leads just to sellers and little useful info.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Well, there are over 300 aquatic plants that are commonly kept in the aquarium. Throw in another 300 or so that are less common. Cavan does a fabulous job with this , but he hasn't gotten to all of them yet. ;)

I think I speak for him in saying that we're always willing to accept submissions for text and photos. Credit will be given when appropriate.

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
Actually, I'm looking more for photos now. If anybody has any really good photos to contribute, they can get in touch with me via PM and I'll elaborate on what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Let me clarify on what I stated earlier. The quality and value of the PF's current content derives partly from fairly rigorous standards when it comes to style and format.

Photos are welcome, but they need to be high quality. Cavan can elaborate if anyone is interested. Submissions for species write-ups are accepted by invitation only.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think this is a great idea! We should do exactly what BryceM and Cavan have suggested - start accepting information and pictures from APC for plant finder.

With the thousands of APC members out there I am sure we can bolster the plant finder very quickly with some really good information and pictures.

Perhaps we could put something on APC's home page about contributing to it.

Obviously the information coming in would have to be reviewed before being accepted to the plant finder. So perhaps a thread could be started where people peer review and edit other people's descriptions and pictures and make comments and suggestions on what needs to be added and changed. Sort of like wikipedia.

In this way plant finder could quickly grow and still be accurate. So what about it moderators? Could we get this APC special event going?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Personally I think it's great. Please do not have a "commitee" do it. That never works. You always end of with the lowest common denominator.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
One of the reasons the PlantFinder is a great resource is because of the work that goes into it. Cavan puts alot of research - and I mean alot - before posting an entry.

I agree, a 'committee' approach would not work in my opinion. Other sites have something similar, and the info is - again in my opinion - subpar.

If you're interested in writing some text for the PlantFinder or submitting a picture, feel free to PM Cavan. You can take a look at the current pictures and text to get an idea of what style of photos (i.e. highly detailed with a black background for the main picture, pictures of flowers, pictures of emersed growth) and what style and approach for the text to use.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Please understand, the point here is not be exclusionary and we certainly are interested in continuing to increase the size and quality of the PF database.

Having authored a single entry myself, I can only slightly understand the work that has gone in to each of these. The point of our database is to keep it scientifically factual, up-to-date with regards to taxonomy, and accurate in every detail. Most of the other plant references out there are full of simple observations and anecdotal information. On average, my own entries excluded, our photos are of a higher quality too.

In the interest of maintaining the standards, I'd echo hooha's suggestion to contact Cavan via PM. I'm sure he'd love the help. For all of you closet-botanists and expert photographers, this call goes out to you too. I can tell you from personal experience that it's enormously rewarding to see your own entry in the database.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Submissions for species write-ups are accepted by invitation only.
Thats why progress in updating and expanding over the last four years has been EXTREMELY slow. I am sure Cavan has done a top notch job, but he is only one person

With the thousands of APC members out there I am sure we can bolster the plant finder very quickly with some really good information and pictures.
You would think so. Opening up submissions to include anyone who wanted to submit would certainly make it more of a community effort and take advantage of many of the talented people here, and give more people the feeling of satisfaction and pride that they have made a valuable contribution. And no offense to Cavan, but I think there is some disagreement in the information of some of the descriptions. I tried to point out a couple discrepancies last year which did not seem to go over very well. Not all the photographs should have to be of professional quality either, whatever that standard is. It either shows the plant well or it doesn't, I would think.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Robert - You did quote one sentence, but you left out the sentences below.

Well come on! It hasn't been that long since an update! :)
I run the Plant Finder. Send me a PM.
I think I speak for him in saying that we're always willing to accept submissions for text and photos. Credit will be given when appropriate.
If you're interested in writing some text for the PlantFinder or submitting a picture, feel free to PM Cavan. You can take a look at the current pictures and text to get an idea of what style of photos (i.e. highly detailed with a black background for the main picture, pictures of flowers, pictures of emersed growth) and what style and approach for the text to use.
Please understand, the point here is not be exclusionary and we certainly are interested in continuing to increase the size and quality of the PF database....

In the interest of maintaining the standards, I'd echo hooha's suggestion to contact Cavan via PM. I'm sure he'd love the help. For all of you closet-botanists and expert photographers, this call goes out to you too. I can tell you from personal experience that it's enormously rewarding to see your own entry in the database.

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
Thats why progress in updating and expanding over the last four years has been EXTREMELY slow. I am sure Cavan has done a top notch job, but he is only one person

You would think so. Opening up submissions to include anyone who wanted to submit would certainly make it more of a community effort and take advantage of many of the talented people here, and give more people the feeling of satisfaction and pride that they have made a valuable contribution. And no offense to Cavan, but I think there is some disagreement in the information of some of the descriptions. I tried to point out a couple discrepancies last year which did not seem to go over very well. Not all the photographs should have to be of professional quality either, whatever that standard is. It either shows the plant well or it doesn't, I would think.
We decided a long time ago to go with quality over quantity and feel that the current system is good. All plant entries are thoroughly researched. We are working to increase the rate of new material, but the basic system is not going to change. If you prefer databases that are open to public submissions, there are several elsewhere. Thank you for your input.

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
P.S. I think this thread has run its course, but I'd like to extend a sincere thanks to everyone for their input. We take a lot of pride in the Plant Finder and will be working hard to make it an even better resource for the hobby. If anyone would like to chip in (we need good photos!), shoot me a PM.

Thanks again, Cavan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.