Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a whole bunch of Blyxa Japonica. Is there a such thing as planting them too dense?

·
Registered
697 Posts
for some plants, you can plant them too dense, as the plants can't properly grow and obtain sufficient nutrients. which is why you would see some die off, however that being said, i've never grown blyxa so i can't comment on how well that plant will grow if planted in bunches.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Blyxa j will grow densly together with no problems. Even if you space them out in the beginning they will eventually spread out & become dense.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I shouldn't worry about planting then too dense since it will do that naturally?

·
Registered
403 Posts
No, They will grow just fine when planted densely. Just make sure they have enough light, co2, nutrients.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Keep in mind sometimes they do require an acclimation to a new tank, so don't be surprised if some don't make it or they're slow to start growing for you. Once acclimated, they'll be fine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great thanks for all the advice. I have Co2, lights and nutrients. I hope they will do well in my tank.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My advice would be to not plant too dense. Assuming good conditions, Blyxa grows very quickly, and if you start off planting too dense, it'll look crowded really fast.

It won't hurt the plant, but it'll look better if it fills in on its own.

I'm pulling out enough Blyxa out of my tank to do 3 tanks every month. I love the plant, but like I said, plant it sparse.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right now I have it pretty dense. I think I will pull some out and let it fill in naturally. I always thought that it doesn't get that tall but mine is at lease 4-5" already.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I acquired about 5 Blyxa Japonica about a month ago and it has remained about 2" high so far with good color and not spreading yet. Just added CO2 this weekend so hoping it will begin to spread.
I planted about 2-3 inches apart. Hope this will give it room to begin spreading so I can put more in the tank.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I acquired about 5 Blyxa Japonica about a month ago and it has remained about 2" high so far with good color and not spreading yet. Just added CO2 this weekend so hoping it will begin to spread.
I planted about 2-3 inches apart. Hope this will give it room to begin spreading so I can put more in the tank.
Your blyxa will start growing very quickly. Don't forget to fertilize!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts